care and feeding of my surefires.

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
I have a few heavily used surefires. I really haven't done much to dissasemble, clean, lubricate, and reassemble them. I've heard there are right and wrong lubes to use due to the o-rings on the lights. can someone please point me in the right direction or give me a few tips?

Thanks, jeff

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
You'll get at least a dozen different answers, so I might as well start. Don't waste your money. Go to Radio Shack and spend the $4.00 for the tube of their General All-Purpose lube. It will last you a lifetime and works just as well as the $40 per ounce lube that people are going to start recommending.

Skyline

Enlightened
I agree with t_i_n. The Radio Shack stuff has suspended teflon particles and it's really good -- it's very slick. It will not deteriorate the o-rings.

Some will recommend some very expensive lube (which I'm sure is very good...), but do you know how many o-rings I bought for just a couple of bucks? They cost pennies each.

fluorescent

Enlightened
I picked up a tube of Super Lube at my local Ace hardware...
Might be a buck or two more than the Rat Shack lube...

Their website is super-lube.com

From their site and back of the tube:

Super Lube Grease and Super Lube Oil with SYNCOLON® (PTFE) contain SYNCOLON® (PTFE). SYNCOLON® (PTFE) is the most slippery surface (lowest coefficient of friction) known to man.
- Highly lubricious, clear and non-toxic
- Excellent dielectric, impervious to salt water
- U.S.D.A. authorized, rated H-I
- Temp range -45F to +450F

Water & Saltwater Waterproof

More reliable lubrication and outlasts petroleum based greases and oils

Remains free flowing in freezing temperatures
Will not stain or harm wood, rubber, leather, plastics, fabrics and paint.

Won't drip, run or evaporate

Repels dirt, dust, grit and grime

Prevents rust and corrosion while reducing friction

Long Lasting

Compatible with conventional lubricants

Reduces friction and wear

Reduces Maintenance

Techmedic

Enlightened
Suggest that before you lube up, you disassemble and clean everything with isopropyl alcohol (drugstore rubbing alcohol for under $1) to remove all traces of dirt and old lube. Paper towels and Q-tips work well. For really dirty areas, use an old toothbrush, perhaps with a bit of soap and water or soaked in alcohol. If you had to use soap, rinse with clear water. Allow to dry, then lube the rings up, including putting lube into the channels where they rest. Re-assemble and wipe off the excess. Clean excess with q-tips and alcohol. Enjoy.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as it is silicone grease it will do the job perfectly. I bought an Aquaseal silicone grease and my Surefire's 'O' ring have been functioning perfectly.