Do some flashaholics have Asperger's Syndrome?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Do some flashaholics have Asperger\'s Syndrome?

I've read a few articles regarding Asperger's Syndrome and I find that many of the symptoms described fit my own behavior. In one of the following articles, Michaelangelo's behavior is described:

"Michelangelo was aloof and a loner... Like the architect John Nash..., who also had high-functioning autism, he had few friends....

The scientists describe Michelangelo as "strange, without affect, and isolated" and "preoccupied with his own private reality", adding that his father and grandfather and one of his brothers all displayed autistic tendencies.

The pair conclude: "Michelangelo's single-minded work routine, unusual lifestyle, limited interests, poor social and communication skills, and various issues of life control appear to be features of high-functioning autism or Asperger's syndrome."

http://info.med.yale.edu/chldstdy/autism/aspergers.html

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/87813/1/.html

Google search

[Edit, added] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger's_syndrome

I had to chuckle in the Yale article:

"Idiosyncratic interests are common and may take the form of an unusual and/or highly circumscribed interest (e.g., in train schedules, snakes, the weather, deep-fry cookers, or telegraph pole insulators).

I don't know anybody who would collect telegraph pole insulators. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There also was a recent article in the New York Times. It might still be available. (at cost perhaps?)

I intend to dig into it further for my own sake. In my lifetime, my success has been limited due to my poor social skills.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Re: Do some flashaholics have Asperger\'s Syndrome?

I know of a colleague who has it. He's extremely bright, but he's lacking in some of the more subtle social graces.

I think that red-haired computer geek who had a bit part in the movie "Wargames" was an excellent example of some of the more overt symptoms of Asperger's. (The character in the movie, not the actor who portrayed him, of course.)

gregw45

Newly Enlightened

Scored a 35 on the test

The first I heard of AS was when Dr. Drew of mentioned it on Loveline (late night radio). Been reading up on it ever since. It sure explains a LOT!

richpalm

Banned

Busted! I got 37. That would explain my lack of social skills; I am the king of inappropriate comments and a big-time loner, and I am crazy about trains also. When someone tells a joke, I never "get it." I have ADD also. Oh, well. Shoot me now!

Rich

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,

Great. We can all be loners together here at CPF. Social skills, what is that???

DBrier

Enlightened

I am below the average at 12. I had better stay away from you social misfits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
DBrier said:
I am below the average at 12. I had better stay away from you social misfits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too...I scored a measly 20 on this pop-quiz.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I got a 33 on that test...guess CPF is where I'll be staying for awhile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

22...not bad. I'm not the most social guy but I don't mind getting out once in a while.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
DBrier said:

[/ QUOTE ]

12 for me, too. Thought I'd score higher. I absolutely relish being alone, but also love social situations of certain types (and hate social situations of other types, which made it hard to figure out how to answer the questions!). This weekend my wife took the kids and went to see her sister. I spent all Saturday with my buddies, morning 'til night, taking advantage of the freedom. I spent all Sunday doing things by myself. Loved both days.

Joe

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

20...no Rain Man, here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

--dan

idleprocess

Flashaholic

23 - above the average, below the threshhold.

I must be nutty in other ways.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got an 11 on the test. Why am I always in CPF? This is weird.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

i heard some docs talking about this...what struck me was that i briefly thought they were saying "***-Burger". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob