Mini-Mag AAA?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
When did Mag come out with the 2 AAA version of the Mini Mag?

I was just in a hardware store and picked up one of these. It looks like a 2 AA Mini Mag that shrunk. Lamps apear to be the same but the reflector is tiny. Same ringy beam.

Have these been around for awhile? I see they are listed on Mag's website. Oh well, where have I been... I would post a link to the web site, but am afraid that I might violate a TradeMark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This might be even more interesting with an LED in it.

Tom

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
I don't know how long they have been out, but I got one in the late 80's when I was a kid...that was my first M@glite.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't see why you'd want an aaa minimag with an led conversion. Try an Arc AAA, CMG Ultra, or UKE 2aaa eLED.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I don't see why you'd want an aaa minimag with an led conversion. Try an Arc AAA, CMG Ultra, or UKE 2aaa eLED.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the same reason people converted the AA MiniMag.....because it's there and can be done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Roy,

Thanks for the links.

Where have I been... I have never seen one of these before today. I guess I just get caught up in other lights. I thought their only AAA light was the Solitaire.

I guess you learn something new everyday... even if it is old news.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Mike,

No wonder I missed it. I was off planet in 1987... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've carried one in my pocket for a while even with my Arc AAA in the other pocket. I like its size and form factor and it gives off more "throw" than the arc.

lhivernant

Newly Enlightened
Minimag aaa is what started me down this path. I was supplied one when I started my current job nearly 4 years ago. I had to replace batteries weekly and bulbs didn't last much longer (I tend to drop my lights too frequently/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif).

Then I found my "gateway" light, the PT Attitude (4AA, 3LED, ~$20). Great light, batteries last nearly forever, no bulbs to break. Alas, not only do I drop my lights, I overtighten their bezels. (Again, its my fault it broke/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif)

"Golly," I said to myself, "there's this neat little EternaLight gizmo. No bezel to overtighten, fancy computer control. $50 seems like a HUGE amount for a flashlight, but I think this may be the one, I will never need another flashlight." Made perfect sense at the time/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif. I now know, I was already hooked.

"My EternaLight is still working great, but, boy, those Luxeons sound really cool/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif," I said, "Sure, that cmg reactor would work, but 3 AA's are just too long. This Arc LSH looks a whole lot more interesting. I better get the 2-aa and 123 twisty, too." $100 worth of flashlight and I didn't think twice.

Now I'm sitting on my hands trying not to get an Arc4 (maybe rev 3).

And this is just for my primary work light. I also edc a Countycomm tough light and an Infinity ultra. I won't mention the lights sitting around the house, cars, and camping gear.

My only consolation is that when I get sent to in-patient treatment for my addiction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif it should be covered under workers comp, and its all because my employer gave me a flippin' aaa minimag.

Sorry if I went a bit off topic, it was a "flashlight flashback," if you will.

BillBill

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
lhivernant said:

was a "flashlight flashback," if you will.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've had one for a couple months one but once the the bulb in the tailcap broke when I tossed it and the filament was forced off center giving an ugly beam. Then I tried to put a 5mm led in there, boring out the reflector, but the hole wasn't big enough. Any bigger it would have kinda destroyed the reflector. After the led was taken out, the bulb contacts had to be tightened and I kinda destroyed the positive contact by bending it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Then I figured it needed a S&W xenon bulb, which needed 5mm of space. When it worked intermittently the beam was rather bright and focused. But it won't make reliable positive contact even when extra metal was put ahead of the batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

It was the end of the Mini-minim^g when the lamp holder was lost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif Now all it needs is a very redundant Luxeon mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif, as the metal parts are stil there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif