Looking for a new kite. Suggestions?

B@rt

Flashaholic
I'm still having fun with my 1.75M wingspan 2 line stuntkite, but I'm looking for more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm thinkinking about a 4 liner with more oomph, and the ability to use a harness/bar combo to eliminate strain on a busted shoulder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I have found this, Dutch review , German review , Translator
I'm wondering if there is a sparrless "matress" kite that have simular performance... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Flexifoil? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

In a nutshell, I'm looking for a kite that can drag me around and make nice jumps, as well as be "agile" (?), able to perform short turns and respond quick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Bart,
I would recommend the Wind Dance kites made by Seattle Air Gear. Check out the videos of their kites in flight. They are really moving that fast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I have a WD1, and on one of my trips while working in Freisland a couple of years ago, I flew it at the beach in Lemmer. It was strong enough to drag me around a bit (would leave 30' trails in the sand before moving back to my starting point), so I think it would serve you well (I'm 6'2" and ~240 lbs).

The WD2 pulls harder, but doesn't turn as fast (my Dad has the WD2). For another opinion on these, check with Wayne Yamaguchi (dat2zip) as he bought one as well.

Here's a link to the Silly, Fun, Neat link thread where I first mentioned these kites.

Think of these kites as true flying wings. They are aerodynamically correct, unlike many other "sport" kites you see today (I should mention I'm in Aerospace Engineering, so my opinion might be considered "expert" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). It is also very nice that there are made completely of fabric (no spars), so they can be stored where ever you can stuff them (my WD1 fits into a coffee mug).

I think you will be truely impressed with these kites! I love mine! Real fun to fly, and you don't realize you're getting a workout because you're having so much fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
If you ever find a leftover US Navy WWII naval AAA practice target kite, I hear those are real fun to fly (although rare and worth enough that you might not want to fly them at all).

B@rt

Flashaholic
Thanks LEDmodMan, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
the Wind Dance kites look very good in the video's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I might get one to replace my delta kite... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Still, I'd like to have a 4 liner as well, some nice tricks can be done with them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lambo

Newly Enlightened
WOW!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Well, LEDmodMan, I think you just might have cured me of my flashaholism! I've been half-consciously looking for something else to squander time and money on now that I've sated my appetite for lights (sacrilege, I know), and I think those kites just might do the trick.

I've flown the Charlie Brown-style of kite since I was a kid -- when they were 29 cents for a paper one that lasted a half hour if you were lucky -- but I never thought I'd be able to work an "acrobatic" kite. I'm going to try one of those WindDancers. They're amazing. And I could use the workout.

If I'm A.W.O.L. from here until the Arc5 comes out, you just might be to blame.

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
LED,
Do you have multiple versions of the WindDance kites? I'm looking towards the 2 . The coast is about 75 miles away, and with gasprices of € 1.27 per liter, that's not much fun... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Wind conditions here are mostly around 2/3 Beaufort, so the 2 makes the most sence. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
(Besides, I'll have a blast flying on the beach... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

If there are any pointers you can give me,( I'm used to a nervous 1.75M Delta, fun really starts at 6+ BF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) , much appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For True Flashaholics... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif There might be a rather unique light for sale soon... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

It may take a while if it ever happens... it is sort of a war trophy for me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Help on deciding value is appreciated, but please reply via PM only if you seriously want to help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
I would like to be able to offer this light for a fair price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I prefer a fixed price, and when there are multiple bids, the right to choose the person who won... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
lambo,
Sorry, and your welcome (or vice versa)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Do yourself a favor and get the line sets and the wooden T-handles that they sell too! Can't really recommend the 75' or 100' lines one over the other because I've only used the 75'. The line sets are quite easy to make, and are much cheaper for what you're getting than buying something comparable elsewhere. While you have your whole order shipping and you're already paying for shipping, I would recommend getting both the 100# and the 150# lines, because it will cost you more later to get another set. I've used both sets about equally, and in lighter winds, you'll be glad you have the lighter lines (slightly better performance due to less drag). The best thing to do IMO is to get the Accessory Pack for $30.

Stick around, there are plenty of other things we can get you to 'waste' your money on... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Bart,
I have the WD1, and my Dad has the WD2. I have flown both, and IMHO the main differences are this:

1. The WD2 is noticeably slower in the WD1. This is good if your reaction time is a bit slower, but I must admit that I've even been too slow on some occasions and crashed the WD1. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Luckily crashing is OK with the WindDancer kites, because a delta crashed at these speeds would be in shards and would need all new spars (can you say ca-ching $$$).

2. In general, the WD2 pulls harder throughout it's flight envelope than the WD1 does. However, because the WD1 moves faster through the corners, it comes close to the pull of the WD2 in the corners.

3. The larger size of the WD2 allows you to fly it in slower winds (more lift). Keep in mind that the slowest wind speeds you can fly at are still pretty close for the WD1 and WD2, and at the lower wind speeds, the kites aren't as fast and don't pull as hard. I normally don't go out to fly unless winds are greater than about 12-15 MPH steady at the airport near my house, because it's so much more fun when the wind is blowing harder! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

4. The WD1 is much easier to self-relaunch than the WD2. I think this is mainly due to the smaller size of the WD1 makes it easier to turn it over on the ground allowing the wind to pick it back up.

I forgot to mention how easy it is to launch these kites. When my wife and I are out flying and I have to help her relaunch, all I do is pick up one of the trailing edge corners and toss the kite into the air non-chalantly (sp?). They're that easy to launch. You can also launch easily on your own too. I just use a sandwich bag full of sand to lay on top of the kite. I walk back to my handles (which are hooked around a stake in the ground to keep them from moving in case the kite self-launches), pick them up, and pull slightly. The kite leaps into the air! Easy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS - I have simultaneously broken BOTH 150# lines before in 30MPH winds. These kites can PULL! This happened when I was flying on the dyke that seperates the Isomeer from the Polder near Lelystadt in The Netherlands.

lambo

Newly Enlightened
LEDmodMan, no apologies necessary. My Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder has needed a new compulsion to feed on, anyway.

I spent a good part of last night poking around the Seattle Airgear site, and I'd already decided on the Accessory Pack, and maybe some extra lines, to go with the WD1. I live on the highest hill in the county, where there's virtually always a decent wind, so I'm not likely to need something that prefers lighter wind, and I'm not too keen on either ripping my arms out of their sockets or unintentionally becoming an experimental pilot. (Though I can just see myself regretting not getting all three at once. It's nice that he has that retroactive return-customer discount.)

Again, thanks very much for pointing me in this direction. And I'm sure I'll still see you around on the CPF. I may even get pretty good at balancing my multiple compulsions.

Speaking of which, what else you got? I wouldn't want to miss anything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
Thanks again LEDmodMan!
Strange that the WD2 is slower than the WD1, while at the site, they claim the opposite.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I will probably get the WD1 as well, and save some more for a traction kite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif