Can the rev2 ARC-LS PCB modded into 2x123's

cgpeanut

Enlightened
Can the rev2 ARC-LS PCB modded into 2x123\'s

Hello,

I have some spare ARC-LS rev2 PCB's and was thinking of creating a pill that would fit the brinkman Legend-lx. Would the rev2 arc handle 6 volts (2xCR123) ? The LT1618 chip from linear technologies datasheet mentioned it can take up to 18 volts but the question is, what other components need to be replaced/modded. Does anyone know what the values/voltage of stock capacitor on the rev2 ARC-LS?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can the rev2 ARC-LS PCB modded into 2x123\'s

If you use a 5 Watt emitter that´ll work with 2x123

Any spare PCB for me ?

TIA

Klaus

cgpeanut

Enlightened

Great idea Klaus will order the 5 watter, as far as the spare ARC-LS pcbs which one do you need rev1 or rev2? I have 20 rev1 but only 3 rev2 that I know works. I won Perter's ebay arc-pcb auction item: 4131446619. But, I also have some rev2 pcb's that looks clean but might have blown luxeons I'll fix this asap.

PM you add and I'll see what I can do.

cgpeanut

Enlightened

Another question regarding the 5watt emitter suggestion by Klaus, According to the current sense resistor webpage http://www.anlighten.com/shop/test.php if I replace the 2 stock 0.15 ohm resistor with two 0.1 ohm resistor from the 1aaa dorcy boards this will generate an output current of 1A will the ARC-LS PCB handle this much current?

Thanks in advance

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cgpeanut said:
Another question regarding the 5watt emitter suggestion by Klaus, According to the current sense resistor webpage http://www.anlighten.com/shop/test.php if I replace the 2 stock 0.15 ohm resistor with two 0.1 ohm resistor from the 1aaa dorcy boards this will generate an output current of 1A will the ARC-LS PCB handle this much current?

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]FWIW, those are 1.0 ohm resistors on the Dorcy 1AAA boards. I doubt that the ARC-LS or the 5W emitter will hold up with a drive current of 1A.

cgpeanut

Enlightened

You are correct Doug_S the dorcy resistor is indeed 1 ohm good catch thanks. I've modded quite a few lights using the dorcy 1aaa circuit I just can't let those resistors go to waste /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hey my latest mod was a black 1aaa dorcy replaced the stock 1uF output cap with 1uF tantalums it runs brighter and longer than the others with the stock 1 uF caps Oh, and it runs warmer too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, regarding the ARC-LS rev2 pcb and please correct me if I'm wrong, it seems the max current it can handle is 667mA (330mA/sense resistor) If I use 2xcr123's it's output will still be 667mA correct? in a sense I'm using it as a downboy converter right? but will run longer correct?

thanks in advance

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cgpeanut said:
You are correct Doug_S the dorcy resistor is indeed 1 ohm good catch thanks. I've modded quite a few lights using the dorcy 1aaa circuit I just can't let those resistors go to waste /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hey my latest mod was a black 1aaa dorcy replaced the stock 1uF output cap with 1uF tantalums it runs brighter and longer than the others with the stock 1 uF caps Oh, and it runs warmer too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, regarding the ARC-LS rev2 pcb and please correct me if I'm wrong, it seems the max current it can handle is 667mA (330mA/sense resistor) If I use 2xcr123's it's output will still be 667mA correct? in a sense I'm using it as a downboy converter right? but will run longer correct?

thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]
cgp: The ARC-LS board can only function as a stepup. If you are using a 5W emitter as suggested, you are OK with 2X123 cells since 2X123 gives less than 6V under load and a 5W at 667mA can be expected to have a Vf greater than 6V.
Yes, two of the stock .15ohm resistors in parallel should give 667mA. I think your biggest challenge will be keeping the emitter cool enough.
It is a bit of a mystery why substituting a 1uF tantalum for the 1uF ceramic gave higher output in your Dorcy mod. Perhaps the higher ESR of the tantalum is causing some type of instability in the Dorcy IC control loop.

djpark

Enlightened

The datasheet of LT1618 does not mention the behavior when the Vin is higher than Vout. But my guess is it become a direct drive through inductor and schottky diode.

I tried my LSH-P (Lux3 @ 610mA modded) with a Li-Ion bare cell charged to 4.2V and I noticed over 1.5A current from the battery to the circuit. I didn't want to let it continue this way.

One possible way to use I can think of is to use a micro processor to control the shutdown pin with PWM. This can give multiple brightness levels (AAA brightness, LSH brightness, Lux3 brightness and boost mode) - aka ARC4.

-- dj