Acebeam        

Thread: Brain surge

Enlightened

Default Brain surge

Hmmm I had a thought come to me last night as I lay down to sleep, yes I do have thoughts now and then. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] I was thinking about power and leds and how to get more for less. A set of batteries will run a lot longer on one led than oh say 7 leds. But could a set of 7 leds be pulsed sequentially so fast as to appear that they were all on at once? Therefore having to power just one led at a time and saving power. Maybe something like this already exists, or maybe I'm just way out in left field [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Just a thought.

-The local LiteFreek

Default Re: Brain surge

But then each LED would be lit for 1/7 of the cycle.

As the Russian saying goes "same balls; lateral view".

Actually 2 LEDs running at 10mA will make more light then 1 running at 20mA LED's get more efficient as they get less power or I should say as you push more power in to them they get less efficient.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mad_scientist:
    But then each LED would be lit for 1/7 of the cycle.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or to put it more simply - you end up with a very expensive singe-LED flashlight. Sure it may actually "appear" that all seven are lit, but they aren't and you don't get to break that particular law of physics that gives you something for nothing. Otherwise, we'd all be running around with 40-LED lights that are powered by a single AAA cell. That'd be cool...but impossible.