Overdriven Lux 3 watt vs 5 watt

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm building a mag-mod for a friend. It's going to use either an overdriven 3 watt or a 5 watt and Hotlips.

First question: If I overdrive a 3 watt to 5 watts - will it have the same light output as a not overdriven 5 watt?

Second question: A 3 watt is rated at about 100,000 hours @ 3 watts. How long would you expect it to last @ 5 watts? Half that? 1/4? Even less?

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
1st Q... No. Lumens output from the LuxIII will not be more that the LuxV, even if you overdrive the LuxIII

2nd Q... LuxIII are rated at 50k hours at about 2.6w. At 3.7w, it is ~20k hours. These are from their spec sheet at www.lumileds.com

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think first question needs to be revised.
how hard do you overdrive the lux3? how low you underdrive the lux 5W?
i believe lux3 is rated at 72 lumens at 1 amp (IIRC) and 5W is rated at 120 lumens, at spec. Now, if you overdrive lux 3 more, and underdrive the 5W (like what L4 did, make their 5W produces about 60 ~ 80 lumens), then the output of the lux3 might be higher than the 5W.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shifty... I think what BatteryCharger means when he says "not overdriven" is that it will be driven at spec. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif Of course only he can clarify this.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget that the 5W is four dies, and so the 3W will have much better throw than the 5W, even if it isn't as bright (which it may well be).

If what you mean by "light output" is percieved brightness, you might want throw, which means the 3W, which is also cheaper!