KL5 & KL6

matt1987

Newly Enlightened
DEAR ALL, i got a question for all of you. SUREFIRE KL5 & KL6. what kelvin does the WHITE LEDs run at? is it PURE WHITE?

JanCPF

Enlightened
matt1987,

I guess it more or less depends on what Luxeon bin SF has put in the particular light (the so called Luxeon lottery). There may be a slight tint variation from unit to unit. That said however, I haven't heard of people getting a KL5 or KL6 that they didn't think was really white. The general consensus on pure white is the color of sunlight at noon on a clear day which is about 5800 Kelvin, and AFAIK the KL5 and KL6 gets pretty close to that. But bear in mind though, that Luxeon LEDs are *not* full spectrum devices, so color rendition is far from as good as with light form the sun.
The sun rocks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif (and so does SF for that matter)

Jan

matt1987

Newly Enlightened
no not the SUN's colours!! is those PURE PURE WHITE LIGHTS that you see at concerts!! when all the lights go out in the HALL, those BEAMS OF SUPER SUPER PURE WHITE LIGHTS are at the stage flashing and EVERYTHING is BLACK & WHITE. Those lights are how many kelvin?

JanCPF

Enlightened
matt1987,

I think you will be surprised how super pure white the light from the sun on a clear day really is (actually very blue compared to incandecent lightbulbs running at about 2500 Kelvin). The stagelights that you are talking about is probably i the order of 5000 Kelvin. And yes - the light from the sun is really really white. The surface temperature *is* about 5500 Kelvin (EDIT: 5800 Kelvin), so thats why.

EDIT: Try shining an incan flashlight at a piece of white paper outside at noon on a clear sunny day, and you will see that the beam from the flashlight has a yellow/redish color.

Jan

matt1987

Newly Enlightened
i c, the sun the colour look like WARM lights, like kypton bulbs. ya.. sun light is BLUE COLOUR?? you sure?? that's Strange!! and SUREFIRE says their bulbs BURN at (3650 kelvin) they have mixture of HALOGEN AND XENON, in the 2002 catalog.. ya.. i WONDER WHY I LIKE PURE WHITE LIGHTS!! haha!!

matt1987

Newly Enlightened
i agree that incandesent lights are yellow, ARC XENON are out, they are white, close to white!!

JanCPF

Enlightened
Yup, a good deal of arc lamps (HID lights) on the market has color temperatures in the 4500-6500 Kelvin range AFAIK.

Jan

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto JanCPF's comments. The degree of 'whiteness' is always subjected to the 'lottery'. You can of course get the KL5/6 and if you don't like the whiteness of the stock LED, put in a pure white LED... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My SureFire L5s and L6 have pure white beams, with no hint of yellow, blue, violet, or "rotten dog urine green" in them.
Not in the hotspot, and not in the corona either.
But as has been already stated, your results may vary.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
My L5 and L7 both have very white beams......until I shine them side by side. Then one is yellow and one is blue.

When I turn one off, the other becomes gorgeous white again. No hint of tint.

I think it has something to do with sunspots, magnetic flux lines, and cosmic rays. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really what happens is they (White LEDs) do not have continiously pure spectral emissions and vary from one device to another slightly. I have 4 5 watt luxeon flashlights (1 being an L6) and 3 seem blushish white were as 1 is slightly more yellow. All are slightly different optically except the 2 Nuwai's are not exactly the same. I don't think LED's put out perfect spectrum like HID Xenons and overdriven Incans (Short life photo floods have nice high color temp) I posted a couple of reviews and you can see the difference even in the camera shots:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=581475&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=547908&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I really would like to see a spectral graph of HID's vs several of the "White" LED's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

The KL6 is my best "Flashlight" i'd part with the lot of them before the L6 went away, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights LightWar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
NikolaTesla said:
I really would like to see a spectral graph of HID's vs several of the "White" LED's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
The spectrometer I have right now is broken, but I am expecting to receive another spectrometer in the near future. I'll run my Light Cannon 100 HID and a couple of 5W SureFire flashlights through it, and post my results on CPF when I have them.
Fair enough?