Best Preflight Flashlight?

Aloft

Enlightened
I've carried a 2D cell Maglite for 20 years to meet the FAA requirement of having "a flashlight in good working order" with me. But thanks to all of you, I'm looking to break with tradition (my own anyway), and I'm looking for a replacement. . .

I've decided to go with an LED flashlight not only for the better runtimes, but because of its superior durability. Going from -40 outside in Fairbanks, to the nice warm interior of the plane has probably cost me a few bulbs. Plus, LEDs are a lot more compact, a big advantage considering my flight bag weighs about 40 lbs.

So here's my dilemma. . .I need a light with enough "throw" to light the leading edge of the wings or tail (the 737 tail is up about 45 feet off the ground) but still with enough "spill" for general preflight duties such as inspecting large areas of the wing or fuselage.

I'm considering the Surefire L4, L5 or L6, but I'm open to suggestions. Lithium batteries are not a big deal, as I will carry some extras. I've heard some good things about the L4 and L5, but I guess not many folks have an L5 yet, and very few have an L6. The Elektrolumens seem to have decent throw but are as big as my old Maglite. The ARC's are compact, but seem almost impossible to get. . .besides my company operations guidelines require "a two or three cell" flashlight, so single cells are out.

Any experience that you can share with me to help make a decision is appreciated. Thanks. . .

maverick

Enlightened
Hi Rich, glad to see another flier on CPF! Are you a skipper on the 737? Personally I carry a Surefire A2 with me which has an incandescent bulb which outputs 50 lumens and 3 LEDs for close up work. I also have the L4 in my collection, but I think it has a bit too much flood for what we use it for. I think the A2 with white or red LEDs are a good bet for us pilots. However, I don't experience the very cold weather at Fairbanks/Anchorage very much so maybe your insistence on an LED is warranted!

Photonian

Newly Enlightened
If you were prepared to spend the money on the A2, you might want to consider the Arc4+. It puts out about 30 lumens to the A2's 50 lumens but it has a good spot, decent spill, a solid state bulb (1 watt Luxeon) and the "moon" mode is just bitchin' for reading maps and such.

The SureFire L2 sounds like a winner also with two brightness settings and more output than the A2 on the high setting.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
My experiences with SF LED's as an Aircraft Mechanic for American Airlines-

The L4 is not bright enough to see the top of a 737 tail unless you have no ramp lights. It will work well on the rest of the A/C, though.

The L5 will work fine for you. I have one that I carry on my belt at work. It will light up the tail well for a Pilots inspection. Heck, it's brighter than a lot of the 2 cells that other mechanics do inspections with. However, I'm used to my MagCharger for outside inspections, so the L5 wasn't good enough for me on the tail only. I'm sure that I look at the tail in more detail than you do.

I don't have an L6 yet, but from the beam shots that I've seen, it looks like it might meet my requirements. I'm pretty sure it will meet yours.

The L7 is just a rechargeable L5, but a lot bigger and heavier. I want to buy a KL6 and see if I can put it onto the L7 somehow.

edit - PK at SF said I can't intermix the KL5 and KL6 to use it on an L7.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the FAA regulations require you to have a flashlight with 2 D cells or equivalent. I realize that the lights you are talking about are easily equivalent or better than a 2 D flashlight, but is there a chance that these smaller lights would fail to meet the letter of the regulations?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best size/utility fit is probably the Surefire A2 Aviator, designed for exactly the reasons you give.

Other lights will work, but I would require at least a Luxeon 3 to give enough illumination for your tasks. The L5/L6 have bigger heads but are probably sufficient. The one Lux I light I would consider would be the Pelican M6LED.

The Arc4+ might work, but I can't testify to that as I have not bought one due to its complexity. (I'm waiting on the VIP from MrBulk, which is a Lux 3 LED)

Bill

Aloft

Enlightened
Lurker. . .thanks for the info. I think (and that's a loaded word when dealing with govt. regulations) that the term "equivalent" would allow for a flashlight that is more durable, brighter, and longer lasting on batteries than the "classic" 2D Maglite, but who's to say for sure. Anyway, Part 121 doesn't actually specify "D" cells, though sometimes I'll fly under Part 91 for ferry or maintenance flights.

Specifically(with non-applicable parts omitted), Part 91:

Sec. 91.503 Flying equipment and operating information.

(a) The pilot in command of an airplane shall ensure that the
following flying equipment and aeronautical charts and data, in current
and appropriate form, are accessible for each flight at the pilot
station of the airplane:
(1) A flashlight having at least two size ``D'' cells, or the
equivalent, that is in good working order.
(2) . . .

And Part 121 (under which I operate) Sec. 121.549 Flying equipment.

(a) . . .
(b) Each crewmember shall, on each flight, have readily available
for his use a flashlight that is in good working order.

Photonian. . .several problems with the ARC 4+ so far. . .first, they're almost impossible to obtain lately, second, they have only a single cell (My company regs say "two or three cell"), and the AA battery holders are not yet available, nor is there a date announced when they will be. Of course that doesn't mean I can't carry an ARC 4+ too!

maverick. . .nice to "meet" a fellow aviator. I'm still in the right seat,and I'm not in a hurry to upgrade yet as my schedules are great at this seniority. I may consider the A2. . .actually doing a preflight in -40 is really pretty rare (thank goodness). Do you have the white or red LEDs, and if you've got both, which do you prefer?

ksbman. . .your info is some of the most specific so far. You're right, I'm not looking as close as you, and I'm glad someone has actually tried the L5 while doing just what I will be doing. Thanks for the info. And hey, maybe I should just buy one of each, and try them out in turn!

Ninja

Newly Enlightened
I like the A2 with green LEDs (all 50 lumen regulated - always maximum output - incandesents are white). The long lasting LED mode has little throw, but good for area or maps etc. Green seems to be the brightest color to me.

sidespill

Enlightened
I agree with the above suggestions for the A2. I'm not a pilot but I am an aircraft crew chief. IMHO LED's aren't that great for exterior inspections. Besides the fact that they generally don't throw as well as incandecents they don't "show" certain things as well. Things like hydraulic and fuel leaks don't show as well especially on glossy paints like the poly they use on aircrafts. For loose hardware I like to shine screwheads and rivets with my light at an angle, if it cast a shadow then the hardware is not flush. As far as the interior goes LED's are exellent. With all that in mind the A2 is ideal. A good choice for backup in the interior is a photon and a rubberband on your headset mic. 2 cents from a guy who preflights for a living.

maverick

Enlightened
Rich, I have the A2 with white LEDs. I've very satisfied with it. Keith's (ksbman) comments proved my concerns of the lack of throw with the L4. The L4 would be great for close up work. However, given the current development stage of LEDs, I think an incandescent is still the best bet for exterior preflights. Also note the point made earlier that the A2 incandescent is regulated which means you save money by not throwing out only half used batteries. Though I think the LEDs aren't regulated. And btw, $135 is a very sweet deal for an A2!

Blue_Skies

Newly Enlightened
I carry 3 flashlights in my flightbag.

Surefire A2 with red LEDs –works great for preflight.
Surefire E1E
Inova X5 with green LEDs

I used to carry a 2D Lightwave 4000 in my flightbag but the light output was inadequate for preflight use.

Get the A2, you'll love it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Aloft

Enlightened
Thanks for the great input everyone.

14C. . .I thought about getting the A2 with red LED's but they must have gone quickly. Not interested in the green or white, but thanks for the link as I picked up some other stuff there.

If the thread is still around when I make my final purchase, I'll let everyone know. Oh, who I am kidding, I'll never make a "final" purchase, just an "additional" one!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The A2 is designed for this purpose: an incandescent for pre-flighting outside the aircraft, and LEDs for use inside the cockpit.

The incandescent bulb is "soft started" and is regulated, so it will stay the same brightness regardless of the state of discharge of its batteries. And the LEDs will continue to function even if the incandescent goes out due to low batteries or if it burns out. A new SureFire MA02 incandescent lamp assembly easily pops in when necessary.

O and before I forget, my page about the A2 Aviator is right here if you're interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also you can ask Don "McGizmo" to make you one of his custom PR McLux heads in a 3 watt LED with the driver of your choice( I recommend the everpopular DB 917). This can be fitted on a body of a E2e and makes for a very small powerful light. This head produces a long throw beam, farther than the A2 in my experience. It has a nice spill to it for being a long throwing light.

As for reliability there many of these lights in the hands active duty soldiers, Police Officers, firefighters and what have you. I myself have carried one for over a year of police work and have dropped it, kicked it stepped on it and depended on it in the most extreme outdoor enviorments with no failure.

Apu

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ninja said:
I like the A2 with green LEDs (all 50 lumen regulated - always maximum output - incandesents are white). The long lasting LED mode has little throw, but good for area or maps etc. Green seems to be the brightest color to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

I'm curious. Ain't colored lights unfavourable for reading maps with a flash light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Certain informations or marks on the maps are likely to be printed in green or red an may 'disappear' in colored light.

I'm not familiar with the requirements and conditions during preflight or aviation in general though. Maybe aviation maps are made to be illuminated by red light or so.

Jochen

BobVA

Enlightened
My buddy (right seat in an A320) is pretty happy with a Streamlight Stinger. He wasn't impressed with my LED lights as he didn't think they'd hack the vertical stab inspection. His only complaint has been that it's way overkill for inside the cockpit.

That said, if the A2 is too spendy, you might consider a nice 2x123 incan like the Stinger, an E2E, etc, plus a separate LED light in your favorite wavelength (ARC AAA, Streamlight Stylus, Photon) for use on the flight deck.

Cheers,
Bob