Arc LS + TSP-2AA: Lanyard attachment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NickD

It appears there is no lug to attach a lanyard on the TSP-2AA. Is there any chance that the design is changed in the near future, so it is similar to the 123- or the old AA-pack?
This is a very important aspect for me - I don't want to drop $100 into a pond or down a cliff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the TSP-2AA has been discontinued.

So in a sense, yes, the design has been changed... but not to include the lanyard lug. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a lanyard lug when I converted my TSP-2AA into a twisty (I never liked the Kroll). I removed the Kroll and boot (just screws out) and screwed in a Maglite minimag tail cap. That covers the end perfectly. I found a small piece of hardware that push fit into the tail cap which contacted the center of the battery and made the whole thing into a twisty - which is what I wanted. Anyway, the tail cap has a good lanyard hole on it.

One source for a minimag tail cap is

http://www.flashlightking.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=REPLACEMENT_PARTS_2_CELL_AA_SIZE

or you can post on CPF for one and someone may have it cheaper (costs about $ 7.50 from flashlight king including shipping).

Good luck.

ChrisA

Enlightened
Just get yourself a length of shrink tube (works best if there's adhesive on the inside) that fits the 2AA-TSP and some paracord. Now, put the shrink tube over the TSP together with the paracord and apply some heat - if done correctly the paracord will be fixed to the TSP...

Chris

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
What hardware did you use?
How far do you untwist (the head or tail?) to turn it off?
My tsp with kroll has to be uscrewed from the head so much to lock it out that it is useless as a lock out.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TSP-2AA can't be used like a twisty because there is a spring on the Kroll which pushes the batteries forward as you screw the TSP outwards. I got rid of the spring when I took out the Kroll, which just leaves a threaded hole.

The Maglite tail cap which replaces the Kroll has no spring inside, just an empty hole. You need to put something metallic (i.e. conductive) in the hole which protrudes outward to act as the pusher against the battery like central post in a twisty. Then you can adjust the length of whatever you put in there (that is, make it a little long and file it to the correct length) so that the light comes on after the TSP-2AA is screwed into the Arc body a reasonable distance..

I found that my Arc TSP-123 twisty tail would light up about 2 1/2 turns from the point where the threads first engage the body. I scrounged around and found a small cylindrical piece of steel about 1/4" in diameter and about 11/16" long (these are eyeball measurements, no calipers or anything) which would press fit into the hole in my Maglite tail cap and which protruded about 3/16" past the end of the Maglite tail cap. I pushed this into the hole and screwed the tail cap all the way in (a little grease helps as the tail cap threads were dry- I used a very little graphite based grease on the theory it might be conductive and it worked well).

In my case, this little piece of steel turned out to be just about right and the TSP-2AA/Maglite twisty would turn on 2 1/2 turns after the threads engage. I therefore now have a good-as-Arc-factory TSP-2AA twisty body (just a little longer) with a very nice lanyard hole in it; and I have no more Kroll switch concerns (my Kroll at least was tempermental).

All you need to do is find something about that size which can be adjusted (i.e. filed) to do the same. For the record, what I used was the decapping pin retaining nut from a set of Lyman 310 Tong Tool reloading dies, which I doubt you will have one of lying around. However, pretty much anything of about those dimensions should do fine.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

mahoney

Enlightened
If you replace the Kroll with a newer version Mag tailcap, a #9 copper rivet (available at OSH hardware and any leather-workers supply) is a nice press fit in the red plastic thing that used to hold the spare mag lamp and is real easy to cut/file to length. An 8 penny nail is about right too, just not as classy looking

Status
Not open for further replies.