Arc AAA says turquoise but Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShawn

Enlightened
I ordered a Arc AAA in color to add to my AAA whites. The listing and on the package is stamped turquoise, but the led is green. I was wondering if this is unusual or if they call green turquoise, I have some photon in turquoise and they are turquoise not green. I was wondering if anyone else has a AAA turquoise and is it green or not?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi McShawn...

A belated welcome to the CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

For whatever reason, it seems that all of Arc`s "turquoise" AAA flashlights are pretty "green" looking.

If you do a side-by-side beam comparison of a turquoise and a green Arc AAA, you will see a distinct difference in color...but absent that, it`s pretty close.

Still, IMHO, the "turquoise" Arc AAA is defintely a nice light and well worth having.

Take care.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought about 7 AAA turquoise and they seem closer to green to me (I am somewhat color blind). I really love the AAA turquoise and that's my EDC. I hope that Peter will one day bring them back into production.

mapet

Newly Enlightened
My arc tq is green also. It is tq only when I direct the beam very close to a white paper in sunlight environment.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
It's definitely green, I remember it being compared to the green leds in stoplights, and it seems accurate.

daloosh

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most turquoise Arc AAA tend to be on the green side, but are still very nice lights. I've found that one thing that can change the tint a little is the type of battery used. You might want to try a few different brands and see what happens. Please let us know the results if you do.

-Mike

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The colour is similar to the cyan luxeon I suppose. That looks very green.

The colour was actually designed for use in traffic lights, and although it peaks at cyan, it has a broad range of spectral output, and since our eyes are most receptive to green, our brain says "that's green".

The reason they were designed that way was for colour blind people, so that they could easily tell the difference between red and green lights.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The turquoise (blue-green) LED Arc-AAA head I have has an LED that emits light at around 507nm, which would be considered "traffic signal green" to those who use LEDs to build traffic lights.
This is greener than the 490-500nm "Tokyo blue" blue-green LEDs that used to be more common a few years ago.

This green-shifting was done on purpose to appeal to what I believe is the largest consumer of blue-green LEDs, traffic signal designers. This color is more visible to the human eye, yet still emits enough blue to be visible to somebody with red-green color blindness.

These greeneer blue-green (or aqua, or turquoise) LEDs are made this way intenionally, not accidentally.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Craig,

Do you have a setup or rig of some sort, with all colors of 5 mm leds, arranged by wavelength, that you could take a picture of? It would be nice to have such a picture for reference.

Jan

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Jan,

Sorry, I do not have such a setup or rig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice idea though.

Don't forget, if you use a cheper digicam to snap the turquoise or cyan lights, they end up looking turquoise or cyan, not the green that they appear to the human eye. I know that a Canon EOS 10D makes them look pretty true though. It has to do with the CCD vs CMOS response curve and the differences between them and the eye's response.

Status
Not open for further replies.