How to remove HA from an Arc Twisty

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrebKlok

Newly Enlightened
I have ordered an Arc Twisty from here.
It says you will have to remove the HA from the threads and negative post. How do I do that most easy? I've read somewhere that a guy couldnt cratch the HA even with a screwdriver. Should i use some kind of chemicals?

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello PrebKlok,
There is some info here.

You can also try using a dremel.
I just recently heard that HA3 is used for coating helicopter rotars, must be tough stuff.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rubber Gloves, Lye solution and some cloth.

Dip just the part you want HA removed and twist cloth on the threads, repeat several times.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I had trouble figuring out what 'lye' was in Japan. I obviously can't find [Red Devil Drain Cleaner] here either.

This may be wrong, and please anyone who knows better correct me, but 'lye' seems to be [sodium hydrate] or [sodium hydroxide]. Sounds like rubber gloves are essential.

PrebKlok

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I'm from Denmark, so the word Lye is unknown to, but after Google'ing around I think I found it:

Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda)
Synonyms: Caustic soda; Sodium hydrate; soda lye; Lye; White Caustic; lye, caustic

Photonian

Newly Enlightened
Yup, lye is sodium hydroxide. Do they sell Drano or some similar pipe/drain un-clogging products in Japan? If they do, you're in luck!

And yes, rubber gloves are standard equipment for messing around with lye. Eye protection is a really good idea also.

simbad

Enlightened
Take care with that stuff, it is so corrosive, use it in a plastic bucket outside with gloves and goggles, I use to treat swiming pool water to level the ph years ago, now it is not allowed to use it anymore in public sites.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PrebKlok said:
Thanks for the info. I'm from Denmark, so the word Lye is unknown...

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you prepare your Lutefisk without lye?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ty_Bower said:
[ QUOTE ]
PrebKlok said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ty, I think that you are confusing Danes with Norwegians /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PrebKlok

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ty_Bower said:
[ QUOTE ]
PrebKlok said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what Caustic soda is, I just newer heard the word lye /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And now another new word to me : Lutefisk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif now what is that?

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lutefisk is fermented herring, usually soaked in lye and buried for some period of time to "cook" IIRC. It is a traditional "food" in Norway. It has a reputation in the US among descendants of Norwegians as part of their heritage they'd rather forget about.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, from what I gather, to properly "enjoy" lutefisk, you must fist get drunk off your *** drinking a Norwegian liquor known as "aquavit." Otherwise you'll probably throw up when you realize what you're putting in your mouth.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Which reminds me of that old Norwegian ditty:

"A thousand Swedes went through the weeds
Chased by one Norwegian"

Brightnorm

PrebKlok

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Before starting, the cab had the same dark color all over. Here's the result:

ARCLS_cab.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.