Whoa!! Surefire P61 HOLA is AWESOME!!! BRIGHT!!!

KDOG

Newly Enlightened
Just got the P61 hola today and good gravy, that thing is sickeningly bright. I don't know what some people were saying a while back about them not being all that bright. When I put it side by side (its in my G2Z) with my 6P -both with a fresh set of batts- the difference is dramatic. Its ridiculously brighter. But I won't keep it in there all the time, it will eat batteries for breakfast! I'll keep it in my spares carrier and swap them when the need arises. But if anyone is wondering about them, they are indeed much brighter.

machulu

Newly Enlightened
Yes it is. Too bad with the 20 minutes runtime, it's only suitable for pure tactical needs. For my taste, even the 60 minutes runtime of the P60 is too short for it to be used on a regular basis for general flashlight needs.

~Stephen

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, 20 minutes is a short runtime, but look at what the light is designed for. These lamps are made to use in the line of "combat" lights. They're used for a short, intense, burst of light, alongside a firearm, to temporarily blind a bad guy, while allowing the user to illuminate the target for possible further action. They weren't made for the guy walking his dog around the block. Although if you walk fast, you'll have a really well lit path!

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
machulu said:
Yes it is. Too bad with the 20 minutes runtime, it's only suitable for pure tactical needs. For my taste, even the 60 minutes runtime of the P60 is too short for it to be used on a regular basis for general flashlight needs.

~Stephen

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree totally. I think the MN01 and MN02 Lamp Assemblies, KL1 and KL3 LED heads, and L1 are best suited for civilian or everyday use. Don't get me wrong, I love the poweful flashlights. I am the proud owner of the Surefire M6, M4, 12PM and 12ZM. Also have most of the other Surefires. My most used incandescents are the MN01 and MN02.
oldgrandpajack

KDOG

Newly Enlightened
I agree that the 20 minutes is pretty short, but as was stated above that is pretty much for short periods of specialized use. Also like I said above, I will just keep it in the carrier until I think I'll need it. As far as the 60 minutes for the P60 goes, I think an hour is plenty, I mean geez what are you doing with it that you will use up an hour worth of runtime that quick? Just my 2 cents...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Whoa!! Surefire P61 HOLA is AWESOME!!! BRIGHT!

Hi KDOG,

Congratulations on your recent discovery. I am a great fan of the P61. Nothing came closer to it. It is very bright and covers a bigger area than the P60. It is usable in a smaller light as compared to the P90 and P91. I own a few Surefire and the P61 is dedicated to situation where I need more light. Maybe for throw, maybe for flood.

Although I am happy with my E2e and the MN03 inside it but I had lately fixed on a KL1 LED conversion head for general use. My E2D with the MN03 would be my next power light. My G2Z with the P61 is reserved for times when I needed more light for throw and flood. Now that I have an M3 I have the MN11 (225 lumens) permanently installed for throw.

Since you own a 6P, why not have the P61 installed in either your G2Z or 6P for times when more throw is needed?

Joseph

Enlightened

Indeed! It's a cool bulb!
Why don't you keep it in your back holster as a powerful backup light along with a nice flood Luxeon light? That will provide a wall of light when needed.. This is what I do when I need blinding beam!!

Skyline

Enlightened

Yup, the P61 is pretty awesome. I keep the HOLA in my EDC G2Z all the time for when I really must light up those dark corners. Yes, 20 minutes is pretty short, but that's why I also EDC the Longbow Micra. The Micra takes care of 90% of my lighting needs. The G2Z/P61 takes care of that critical last 10%. Also, by carrying two lights, I always make sure the G2Z has a completely fresh set of batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Skyline said:
Yup, the P61 is pretty awesome. I keep the HOLA in my EDC G2Z all the time for when I really must light up those dark corners. Yes, 20 minutes is pretty short, but that's why I also EDC the Longbow Micra. The Micra takes care of 90% of my lighting needs. The G2Z/P61 takes care of that critical last 10%. Also, by carrying two lights, I always make sure the G2Z has a completely fresh set of batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with skyline. I always carry my E2e with a KL1 for the 90% of the needs and my G2Z with P61 will take care of the other 10%.

It is only on days that I want to play with my flashlights that I bring everything out.