L2 vs L4

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you think? I wish sf had incorporated the hi/lo into the existing L4 package.

Also, can somebody please post a pic of the L2 and L4 side by side?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I can provide the picture anyway...

l2vsl4.jpg

The L2 is at the top, the L4 (KL4 with E2e body) is at the bottom.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow the L2 is ugly man!! Look at the L4, nice and compact. L2 is just way too long. Even trying to fit it in your pocket is a big problem. That was why I hesitated buying the A2 Aviator. The L1 is long too. Considering it is a single cell it is the same length as my E2e. Surefire should have worked out a better way to do 2 stage lights. If Arc can do a compact version why not Surefire?

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
One huge advantage of the L2 over the L4; it can be left on continuously, on it's LOW level, without getting too hot. The L4, and L2 on HIGH, are meant to be used intermittently.
oldgrandpajack

nexro

Enlightened
The L2 is a bit long but the longer clip will definately help out.
Hmm, the L2 and L4 5W head looks different. I wonder if they are interchangeble /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
nexro said:
Hmm, the L2 and L4 5W head looks different. I wonder if they are interchangeble /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm...never tried that. Let's go try that now...BRB...ok, the L2 head fits on the L4 body, but does not work on it. The L4 head does NOT quite fit on the L2 body.
Swapping them back...ehhh DOODLEBUGS!!! My L4 works, but my L2 DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
(a couple of minutes later) O wait, there it goes...now it works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To put things briefly: No, the L4 and L2 heads are not interchangeable.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig, thanks for the warning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

akula88

Enlightened
Craig,
How about an L2 head on the L1 body? If L2's head is "dumb" enough, then it would be like an "TW4 type"-- a 2-cell head on a 1-cell body?

Regards,
Johnny

McGizmo

Flashaholic
akula88,
I think the boost driver in the L1 might well try to run the 5W at 300+ mA and might even succeed. I would expect the low level to equal that of ambient light on the darkside of the moon...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Man, I have all kinds of mean tricks I want to try on the L2 when I get one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The L2 is about the same length as a Minimag 2AA. Most people don't worry too much about the Minimag's length or pocketability.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
akula88 said:
Craig,
How about an L2 head on the L1 body? If L2's head is "dumb" enough, then it would be like an "TW4 type"-- a 2-cell head on a 1-cell body?

Regards,
Johnny

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's see if I can find my L1, and try it and see what happens...BRB...yes, it fits, but there's only one level - high.
I even tried a new battery, and I still only get the high level. This level is 186,300mcd, vs. 745,000mcd on the L2 body.

albert

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pjandyho said:
Wow the L2 is ugly man!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are ugly too, if i stand next to you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif ...just a joke! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Every Surefire on the outside is a beauty by itself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
albert said:
You are ugly too, if i stand next to you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif ...just a joke! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Look who's talking??? The pot calling the kettle black??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif I enjoy being ugly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but do you??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Of course I know you are joking. Don't worry. But if maybe you could give me an L2 for free I might still reconsider it's aesthetic features. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

albert

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pjandyho said:
...maybe you could give me an L2 for free I might still reconsider it's aesthetic features. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry the L2 is just too ugly for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Bravado said:
L2 looks good to me where can I get one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]They are just starting to ship. Like all things surefire, expect a slow trickle.