Itchin' For A Laser Thermometer

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Itchin\' For A Laser Thermometer

I've seen a couple of people use the Raytek Mini Temp MT4 and suddenly, I want one.

They are pretty cheap (under $60) but somehow I can't justify the purchase to myself.

Anybody have one? Any pros or cons?

Marty

Bill.H

Enlightened
Re: Itchin\' For A Laser Thermometer

The HVAC company I use for some datacenters I manage has them for their service techs. I asked one of the techs about it, he said they like them for inaccessible areas - like inside ducts - but he's not happy with the accuracy. Just for fun we measured the temp of a new copper pipe, then colored a spot with a Sharpie and measured it again and found a 5 degree difference. Also, it does not always agree with his (high quality) digital thermometer in places where he can use both. So it's close but not as good as one that's in contact with the surface. But sometimes you don't have a choice.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast

These devices are actually capable of very accurate measurements, but you need a fairly expensive unit to do so.

The issue is how accurate an approximation the material you are working with approximates a true black body. On the low and mid priced units, that number is called emissivity, and it is not adjustable, it is hard wired at .95, which is a pretty good approximation for most materials. On high end units, you can adjust the unit for known emissivity, and that usually will make the temperature measurement accurate within a degree or so.
The more accurate the emissivity is set in the IR Thermometer, the more accurate the measurement.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have a specific need for one but it sounds as though I should get a better (more expensive) unit to ensure accuracy.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

Marty

Brock

Flashaholic

I have the raytek and it is fine for relative comparisons. That is if you check and incoming pipe vs outgoing the difference is correct while the actual temps may be off. I use it a lot on pool equipment and it comes in really handy. I think you should start with a cheaper one and see how much you use it. I use it way too much.

Oh another fun thing to so is shine it straight up on a 80 degree day and se -10F. Must be cold way up there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I use a CEM DT-8810 digital IR laser-guided non-contact thermometer that I bought on Ebay late last year for approximately $45.00. I don't believe it is the best you could get, but for $45.00 and for what I need to measure (flashlight bezels and barrels, and "wall wart" transformers, mostly), it gets the job done.
I hardly ever use the laser "sight", but it does have its uses.

I aimed mine at the sky and got a reading of something like -40°F (-40°C) so I know it's doing its job.

Let me try aiming mine at the sky again and see what happens...BRB...well, we don't have clear skies, so I wound up measuring the temperature of the bottom of the low to medium overcast cloud deck at 34°F (1.1°C).

turbodog

Flashaholic

That "sky" temp is accurate. I was on a VERY nice private gulfstream once. They had lcd panels in the walls that showed various things. One of these was outside air temp (not adjusted for wind chill)... it was like -100F or something ridiculously cold.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I measured the sky temperature again this morning, because there was blue sky.
I got a reading of -26°F (-32.2°C).

*Retired*

mattheww50 ,

The blackbody issue and emissivity was the exact issue I was trying to explain to Gransee, as to the futility of measuring a white LED die, coupled with the phosphor in the way, the silicon gel, and the dome...

He talked about basing die temperature measurements off that for the ARC4, to prove the board temperature measurements. Yes, they are related, but you have to take in account all the thermal resistances in the path.

Even if a fella was to remove the dome, the gel, and phosphor, you'd get an artificially low reading, due to the phosphor/gel/dome acting as a thermal blanket in normal use.