Is SL Keymate worth buying?

jbrett14

Enlightened
Every time I see this light in a store, I pick it up and contemplate buying it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. I have always ended up putting it back on the shelf because of the type of batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. I love the looks of it, though. Does anyone have any comments on this light? Brightness? Runtime? comparison to Dorcy AAA?

paulr

Flashaholic
It's a nice enough light if you don't mind the button cells. Brightness comparable to the Dorcy AAA. Considerably less runtime. You can buy the batteries cheap from batterystation.com. I think the Arc AAA makes a lot more sense than the Keymate though.

Aten_Imago

Banned
I have a MOD'd version the Lambda Tubo-Mate. Very nice when hosting a 1W Luxeon and running off of an 'N'cell. My Turbo-Mate is for sale. PM me if interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jbrett14 said:
Every time I see this light in a store, I pick it up and contemplate buying it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. I have always ended up putting it back on the shelf because of the type of batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. I love the looks of it, though. Does anyone have any comments on this light? Brightness? Runtime? comparison to Dorcy AAA?

[/ QUOTE ]

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Months ago I thought it was impractical because of the button cells. That was until I saw one in operation. I can't think of another single 5mm LED light that is close to it in brightness. It is a screamer. I think that it's because not only is it overdriven, but the head and reflector make a huge difference.

I can't comment on run time, because I haven't played with mine enough to know, but I think that it's substantially better than I would have imagined. If we have a rain day tomorrow (Friday) and I don't get to work, I'll try to remember to do a visual run time test. If you decide to get one, you definately need to buy cells in bulk, not from a retail store. Battery Station had them for $3 for 10 and if Wit's End does another group buy on the light sticks, you can get them from him for 5-10¢ each.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think there's a runtime plot in the reviews section.

stockwiz

Enlightened
Expect the lens to get scratched up if used on a keychain. I have to use a lens protector on my turbo nano mate.