Any shroud for surefire A2 switch?

ws

Newly Enlightened
I have to ask: has anyone created a shroud that can fit in the lanyard slot of an A2 to allow it to stand on its end without activating the switch? I ask because at this moment, when I put my A2 in my pocket, there is a danger of the switch being pushed when I sit down. Twisting it to lock-out point does not help because the unanodised threads become visible, which in turn means that water resistance is lost as the O-ring is no longer sealing the battery compartment. A shroud would help to shield the button (much like the tail end of an E2D, which I also have. Like it a lot).

Any out there? This fear of accidentally triggering the A2 is why it has been left on my table so far.

maverick

Enlightened
Ah...! I was wondering if someone else had this problem??!!! I think Surefire screwed up the design a little since the LOTC needs to be unscrewed too far to lockout the LEDs.

Jarndyce

Newly Enlightened
Mine does not have this problem, but mine has the new tailcap. I think there's a thread somewhere about this happening with the old tailcap but I could be wrong, hold on while I search for it........................................................
ah, here it is old A2 thread

and here's another one old A2 thread #2

Hope this helps

ws

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. In that case, is there anywhere where I can buy this newer tailcap for the A2? Otherwise, I'll sell this one and get a newer A2 with the longer tailcap as a flashlight I cannot rely on fully is worse than useless.

Jarndyce

Newly Enlightened
Try contacting surefire for a replacement, I know they have replaced old style tailcaps for members(myself included, although mine was a new style) who had problems with some or all of the metal tabs breaking off.

ws

Newly Enlightened
Hmm. OK, I could do that but maybe I'll go to B/S/T first and see if I can get one there. It might be faster.

Jarndyce

Newly Enlightened
It took about 4 weeks for me to get the replacement from Surefire CS, so BST may be faster, but surefire will probably replace it for free considering it is faulty.( OK, faulty may be the wrong word because it works, but it can't be fully locked out without losing its integrity. One of the reasons the new tailcap is longer.)

It certainly couldn't hurt to shoot an e-mail to [email protected] describing your problem.

In my case they responded the following day saying they would send out a replacement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Good luck

ws

Newly Enlightened
In my case, they did not. Here is the full text of their reply:

"Dear Sir/Ma'am,

The problem you are experiencing is normal of all Aviator series lights. The tail cap is still screwed on enough that the o-ring is still providing protection to the light. If you have any further questions do no hesitate to write back or call us at 1-800-828-8809. We are dedicated to providing world-class customer service and welcome future inquiries or comments.

Surefire Technical Support
1-800-828-8809
714-545-9444
714-545-9537 (Fax)"

Seeing that I stay in Singapore, it would be a bit hard for me to call them. So, what now? Can anyone out there verify what they say, that the old style tailcap can still seal the battery compartment in lock-out mode?

CaseyTan

Newly Enlightened
wow! great customer service from pk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

keep up the good job pk !

Jarndyce

Newly Enlightened
I knew Surefire wouldn't let you down.

Great job pk!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif