Adding a lithium AA to the Infinity...

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did so and it improves the brightness quite considerably so that it is just a shade dimmer then my Arc LE rather then nearly half as dim. The things is, the tint of the Infinity with the lithium is terrible. Very purpleish to the point of almost being pink. I still much prefer the Arc LE size differences aside, just for beam quality but the lithium makes the Infinity a better backup.

Anybody else compare the Infinity's output with a alkaline vs. lithium battery?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
I did so and it improves the brightness quite considerably so that it is just a shade dimmer then my Arc LE rather then nearly half as dim. The things is, the tint of the Infinity with the lithium is terrible. Very purpleish to the point of almost being pink. I still much prefer the Arc LE size differences aside, just for beam quality but the lithium makes the Infinity a better backup.

Anybody else compare the Infinity's output with a alkaline vs. lithium battery?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMO-the only really acceptable combination with the Infinity is the blue/green one with the Li battery.
Btw-the slappman (CPF#1032) Slapp Systems-will sell 'ya one for $11.99+3.90ship.

edit: -I almost forgot....strip and polish the reflector.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I compared my blue-green Infinity with alkaline and lithium. It is definitely brighter on the lithium, although, not hugely so (not double)...maybe 15-25%?

I use the lithium though 'cause I figure the life will be REALLY long, it is quite a bit lighter and no worries about using it in the cold.

But...if you use the Infinity a lot, the alkaline is acceptable and WAY cheaper (if you get your batteries on sale).

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OrBy:
any step by step run downs on how to do this anywhere ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used fine sandpaper, then emery, and finally car polish (cleaner-not rubbing compound)
If you're a real fanatic, you can finish it off with toothpaste (not gel type)
-Try not to scratch the LED of course
smile.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
And don't forget the lithiums in the Infinity will make the light about 1/2 the weight and have a shelf life of ten years.

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> edit: -I almost forgot....strip and polish the reflector. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

any step by step run downs on how to do this anywhere ?

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vcal:
... Try not to scratch the LED of course
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use a drinking straw to protect the LED while working on the reflector. And whatever you do, resist the temptation to start with a relatively coarse paper. You could get deep scratches, which are *difficult* to polish out.

lightlover
smile.gif

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
thx for the info - gonna have to run down to the local canadian tire and pick up some supplies before i do this
smile.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>.

edit: -I almost forgot....strip and polish the reflector.[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went the easy route with my CMG Infinity: I just used glossy white enamel to paint the 'reflector' white. Bright polished aluminum is obviously going to be better, but it sounds like *way* too much work, to me.
grin.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I use the lithium though 'cause I figure the life will be REALLY long, it is quite a bit lighter and no worries about using it in the cold. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lithiums don't really have much, if any, more energy than an alkaline. Their strong suit is the ability to supply power to high drain (high current) devices. Low drain devices, like many LED flashlights, are not likely to show an longer runtime. Of course the cold weather and long shelf life benefits still apply.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody got a site that shows the relative energy available in AA alkalines, lithium and NiMH?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
This battery site is REALLY nice!

Thanks for the post!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ikendu:
This battery site is REALLY nice!
Thanks for the post!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is a very informative site.
FWIW-I would agree with everything he said about the different types of cells and their best apps. EXCEPT for his appraisal/experience with the Innovations Battery Manager.
This unit IS a poor choice for charging NcD/Nimh, because it was not primarily designed for those type cells.

Either he just got a "lemon", or he was running that 110v. unit on 220v.-his results are waaaay different that mine have been. I have been using that unit successfully for 4 years, and have NEVER had a battery develop leakage -either in or out of the charger!

This unit has been used 1000s of times on regular alkalines, that I would have had to just throw away.....
frown.gif
I might add that the batteries I charge are always tested under a 400mA load after re-charge,-to reaffirm that the recharge was worthwile, and 95% of all of them put out a surprising, SUSTAINED amount of power after the process.....BUT, alas, on a practical basis, this can only be done effectively about 6-10 times per cell (on average).
-Too bad the unit is no longer available. I would not trade it for even a Light Cannon!
shocked.gif