Mag-Lites

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Hi, new member here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I own 6 Mag-Lites... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif...but lately I've been hearing about new types of bulbs, XENON bulbs, all types of flashlight mumbo-jumbo which leave me pretty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Can you guys shed some light for me on whats new in flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag-Lite.....

Well welcome to the forum. I think if you spend some time in here we might be able to change the way you see lights. Mags need some work to get them right, Like a 5watt led.

We can help you....
You need to learn to about the following things.

Surefire
ARC
McGizmo
Dat2zip

and many other things

There are boost circuits, current regulation, voltage regulation.

There are lights that are sooooo much better than Maglite that you will hardly believe it.

Hmmm, where to start?

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I've heard people say that Mag-Lites are outdated and stuff like that. They work for my needs though...

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
ack

Ok,
XENON lights are not really that new. They are nice if you have a good reflector.

What really excite most of us is Luxeon Star 5watt leds and HIDs.

For Incandecent, Surefire and Pila are top notch for beam quality.

For LEDs, Surefire and Arc are really hard to beat but the custom makers and modders can do just as good and give you something functional and unique as well.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Do you happen to know wattage in the Mag-Lite flashlights according to their size.

I also have a rechrgable Streamlight, I just remembered about that one.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get plenty of mileage from mild to wild Mag mods. LEDs from drop-ins to custom are widely available and even can be done yourself for the fun of it. I specialize in high performance incandescent mods especially using the Mag and MagCharger platforms. I respect Jon, but don't get me wrong, Mag bodies provide a tremendous degree of flexibility to get just what you want from an ultra long-running 3W LED light saber to a fire-breathing 3D sized torch that is brighter than a 100W automotive headlamp.

For and EDC though, I use a SureFire L4 5W LED and a bunch of Jon's Pila lithium ion batteries and charger. This combo is highly, highly recommended. For sheer fun though, it's Maggies all the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well, except for the squash project.

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which Streamlight do you have. They also lend themselves to a nice variety of mods.

Wilkey

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I have a hard time breaking out of EDC mode.

*Fondles L4/e1e body driven by JSB123*
*Fondles Tvord CPF benefit light*

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
The Surefire M6 looks pretty cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

M6%20Millennium%20Spec%20Ops.jpg

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
M6....It will put yer eyes out.

Lots of great short run custom built lights.....and modifications of existing ones.
Then there are some great production lights

Arc4
Arc-aaa
Arc-aa
U2---thats really new---Future new (drooooool)
Longbow

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
Mag is good - no hold on - what year is it 1987 or 88? Oh thats right it's 2004. hmmm well then you need to rethink things.

Mag makes a good host for modules. Like Opaltec NewBeam 3 led module for the mag 2aa.

I really think you need to run now while you still can - you may get away without contracting the light flue if you hurry.

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are so many good products that make Mag lites look outdated.

Surefire (top notch beam quality, top notch construction)
Arc (top notch construction)
Longbow (top notch construction)

Pelican M6 LED (top notch beam quality, not up to Surefire/Arc/Longbow construction standards, but damn good for the price)

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The EverLED is a 1w led bulb replacement for 2-6 cell MagLights. Look here for a review and more info about the EverLED.

High amp Xenon and Halogen(sp) bulbs are an easy way to hop up a MagLight.

14C

Enlightened
Mag_Lite...check of the Elektrolumens forum and the Phazer...it'll cost a few D-cell maglites worth of money but it'll fry a cat at 10 paces...:)

Edited for spelling

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag Lite:

Welcome to CPF, our favorite brand of entertainment.

Now, I must give you the award for the Bravest Newbie of the Year. Anyone with your sig certainly deserves it. You'll find that the M@g name, deservedly or otherwise, has really gotten dragged through the mud over the years here. But, hardly a single one of us doesn't have a M@g in their stable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Hehe, oh well. I love my Mag-lites.

I don't really need all the other things these flashlights offer. I'm not going into a cave, underwater, or the...jungle.
I didn't expect my Mag Lites to be bashed like this. Anyways, I'll stick wiht my Mags. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

This is a cool board. I might stick around and be the only Mag Lite owner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I stand by my sig line to your opinions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, maglites have odd beams full of artifacts....something we have trouble with.
Its my guess all of us have had mags but needed more.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
well, maglites have odd beams full of artifacts....something we have trouble with.
Its my guess all of us have had mags but needed more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. In fact, I still have all my Maglites, I just don't use them anymore (with the exception of my 2AA Maglites modded with LEDs). The C and D Maglites in my collection are reminders of how I started, but once one sees the quality of Surefire and PM6 LED beam quality its hard to go back to Maglite.

No doubt, Mags are well made and great buys for the money. But, IMO there achilles heel is the terrible (ringy, blotchy) beams they emit.