The Surefire Bushwhacker Gummy Bear Filter!

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I don't really know exactly how to feel about this, but I received the red filter that Surefire sells for the L4 today and put it on my light.

Besides the fact that the rubber sleeve that fits over the bezel says "Bushwhacker", and the red plastic flip-up lens looks like it's made from surplus Gummy Bears, it's a nice filter---I guess.

14C

Enlightened
Bushwacker????

I have an $ 8.00 red filter..no flip..no markings...fits the e series and L1/L/4...

The more expensive one is marked "Bushwacker" ?

I never saw a flip for the e series... Kl1/Kl4....where is my catalog?

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
14C:

Well, I just looked at my Surefire invoice:

Model F05 filter, $8, and the plastic package says "Red tip-off filter assembly for the E1 and E2 Executive flashlights".

I ordered it directly off the Surefire website. The whole red flip-up filter part looks like you could chew it and it would taste like strawberry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Oh, and the filter shown on the Surefire website looks nothing like what I received from them. The one on the website is not a flip-up.

14C

Enlightened
Wow..interesting...

If I were you I'd PM Size15s and ask a question...

I thought all of the flip up filters were much more expensive...and I don't think I saw any on the site for the e series...the F05 is what I have and it has no flip-up lens....it's just a red filter in a push-on rubber bezel...hex shaped.

The lens seems relatively solid and the light is filtered to red nicely from my e1E. Not so much light from my LED lights but that is to be expected.

The lense IS plastic.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF doesn't make any of their lenses. I forget who does, but they make a lot of filters/covers for rifle scopes.

I guess SF went to a flip-off filter for theE series...I like the hexagonal non-flippy filters, oh well...
--dan

Size15's

Flashaholic
Sorry, I have no idea about this.

The F0x BeamFilters have always been plastic lens rather than glass (AFAIK).
This is Shelby Chan's photograph of the F05 Red BeamFilter. It is my understanding that the lenses can be removed from the rubber-like housing.
f05_large01.jpg

It would be great to see a photo of the F05 that sotto has.

SureFire does make their Millennium BeamFilters - those that are FMxx. What I would term the "Classic BeamFilters" are very similar (same?) to Michael's Of Oregon Butler Creek Blizzard Covers.

Al

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Butler Creek makes the filter housing. Essentially just a flip up scope cover with a lens instead of being solid.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Does it actually taste like strawberry? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
While a taste test might be interesting, I was wondering if the lens material may just have a thin plastic covering that is intended to be removed. Many things come with these that are intended to protect the underlying plastic during manufacture and shipping. Unfortunately they often don't mention this anywhere. I sometimes leave them on until they get really messed up and then peel them.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
gwbaltzell:

Think red gummy bear candy material...the entire tip-up part of the filter (lens and rim), including the hinge part. That's what it reminds me of. And the "Bushwacker" label of course really puts that extra "tactical" icing on the bon-bon. Really dresses up the old L4./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Wow that does look like Gummy Bear red! It's hard plastic right? That hinge looks really weak. It looks like the red part can break off easily from the pin.

IMO, that thing is ugly. Ruins the sexyness of the L4. Ask SF to exchange that with the normal beamfilter.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the filter/Cap that Al posted on a E2E Plus. It is a really deep red. I like it. I'm running a P61, so the loss of beam power from the filter is minimized.

How is the Bushwacker's Beam Color? Should we call it the Democratic filter? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14C

Enlightened
Sorry but that little thing looks like it came from an arcade.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I hope it provides good color.

Atomic6...bet you'll melt it..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm going to take FNinjaP90's advice and test SF's customer service claims by requesting the older red filter be sent to keep me happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I emailed Surefire about their red gummy bear filter that they shipped me for my L4.

Here's their reply and my original email:

Dear Sir,

The Executive series filters are some of the few parts not made by us. We
switched to the Bushwacker because the lens flips up which was more desirable
and the lens actually provides better performance. We have no more of the old
style cover. If you purchased it from us we can have you return it to us and we
will issue you a credit to the card you used. If you have any further questions
do not hesitate to write back or call us at 1-800-828-8809. We are dedicated to
providing world-class customer service and welcome future inquiries or
comments.

SureFire Technical Support
1-800-828-8809
714-545-9444
714-545-9537 (Fax)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 8:34 AM
To: helpyou
Subject: Bushwacker F05 red filter

Hi:

This past week, I received my red F05 filter from you along with the batteries
I ordered. I'm very disappointed in the quality and appearance of this SF
product, particularly the fact that it says "Bushwacker" on it and the red
filter part looks like strawberry gummy bear candy. The whole thing looks cheap
and doesn't do anything for the appearance of my new L4 Lumamax. I am asking
that you replace it with your previous F05 red filter or another version that
is higher quality. What you sent does not say Surefire quality to me.

Thank you,

Steve Otto