Streamlight Propolymer 3N

S

SgtMike88Ret

Newbie checking in ...

Can anyone please give me info on the performance of the Streamlight Propolymer 3N or direct me to a current / semi-current review of this light?

Thanks,

Mike

MGLloyd

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a review, but I do count myself as a satisfied user of the ProPolymer 3N, which I purchased from BrightGuy.

In my profession, I often have occasion to go into many government buildings or courthouses. I have been a long-time carrier and instructor in the Kubotan. In recent years, the Kubotan has made it onto the 'banned for entry' lists of many government buildings up here in the Pacific Northwest. Thus, I would have to remove it from my keychain to pass the security screen.

So I was looking for a tool that could fill the functions of a Kubotan while not looking like one. I decided on a small flashlight, and after trying and discarding a MiniMag due to weight, and learning that the Streamlight BatonLight also failed screening, I settled upon the 3N ProPolymer.

My main criteria were similarity to the dimensions of a Kubotan, light weight, durable construction, water resistence and good battery life. Based on my research of the available products out there, the 3N came closest to meeting these requirements. My only wish is that it came in a 2 AA cell version.

Regards,

MGLloyd

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to pass through a metal detector in the guard shack going to and from work everyday (I work for UPS), and to keep metal objects to a minimum I decided on a SL 3N LED light and a UK 2L to carry in my work coat every day. FOr several reasons I have stopped carrying the SL 3N light.

First, it uses difficult to find N cell batteries. Nothing else I own uses them, and I don't keep them on hand, and have difficulty finding them in many stores. On the plus side, it can take 2-AAA cells in an emergency, but due to 1/3 lower voltage, the light is significantly dimmer than with the 4.5V 3-N batteries provides. My SL 3N must have accidently gotten turned on in my pocket sometime, because several weeks ago it was completely drained when I tried to use it, and since I didn't have any N cells to use in it, I now carry a UK 2-AAA LED in its place.

The SL 3N is a well buuilt flashlight, and if you don't mind keeping spare, rare, "N" cells on hand, and can insure it won't accidentally activate, it might fit the bill for you. On the other hand, you might want to consider a AA Minimag with Opalec Newbeam 3-LED drop-in as an alternative. Easy to find Minimag host and uses common AA batteries.

-Keith

indenial

Enlightened
Is this the same model light that's being carried by COSTCO in many areas?

Regarding "N" Cell availability: all of the HOME DEPOTs in my area carry them at a very reasonable price. I assume their inventory is the same throughout the U.S.(?) Y'all may want to check it out.

MGLloyd

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
indenial said:
Is this the same model light that's being carried by COSTCO in many areas?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The Streamlight model currently carried by many Costcos is the 4AA ProPolymer. It has 7 leds and is powered by 4 AA cells, as compared to the 3N, having 3 leds and powered by 3 N cells.

And I am able to regularly find N cells at either RadioShack or in the electronics department of Fred Meyer (a Pacific Northwest grocery\variety store chain).

Regards,

MG Lloyd

Negeltu

Enlightened
My walmart...Fred Meyer...Kmart....Radioshack...and alot of the drugs stores in my area carry the N cells... I don't quite see how they are rare. People keep saying they are hard to find or are rare...I just don't have that problem.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have no problem finding N cells.

Paying for them is a whole 'nother issue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I have two generic 2AA lights outfitted with Green LEDs and 3N cells.

I have no data on the 3N Propoly.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work nights. Most of my B&M shopping is done at 3am-5am. That pretty much limits me to Krogers, Meijers, gas stations or driving a distance to a super WalMart. Some of these stores may carry them, but they certainly aren't easy to find inside the store. In the average grocery store or WalMart, you can usually find AA and AAA batteries in a dozen or more locations. Not so with N cells. Frankly my time is to valuable to me to wander around a huge store checking every battery display for N cells. Not to mention with AA and AAA lights rechargeables, alkalines, or lithiums can be used. Not so with N cell flashlights (rechargeable N cells may be available, but I wouldn't buy them just for use in one light). Also, unless you buy the N cells singly (for a high price), you'll always have a battery left over after filling the SL 3N. I'll definitely stick with AA, AAA, and 123 cell flashlights from here on out.

-Keith