What to do with a 4D M*g

Quazar

Enlightened
Greetings all and apolagies if I am bringing up an old topic. Since joining CPF, I have acquired 3 S/F's, an XM2, a X1 and an Arc AA. I now need to do "something" with my 4D M*g. I am runnung it on 2300 mAh NiMh batteries and wish to continue to do so, as I have lots of them. I dont know wether to change reflector and lamp, or use a luxeon drop in. Or wait for Waynes Pentalux conversion. All replies greatfully received. Thank you.

Edit: I want both throw and brightness, its a big light and has to perform big.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Take a look at the EverLED...a bulb replacement for 2-6 cell MagLights. Look here for a review of the EverLED.

Geode

Enlightened
If you don't want to go the LED route, I used a 3-cell Mag halogen (IIRC) replacement bulb - UCL lens. Simple mod, but it now throws an intense beam like a cannon - very far away - when fully focused. At the moment, this is more impressive to me than any LED mod could be.

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
I think a 4D Mag is a perfect host for a multiple luxeon mod, Wayne's Pentalux will create a wall of light and have some pretty decent throw also. If you have the means of doing your own mods i would suggest attempting something like the pentalux or something using a Tri-lens. You will definately not be disapointed in the results. On the other hand you can go the way of a single reflector and use a lux V for the job, it should give u a really nice combo of shear lumens and some pretty decent throw. You could also use a single luxIII but in my opinion that would be wasted on a 4D body, the luxIII throws incredibly far for a single die but i don't think it packs quite enough lumens to justify using it in a 4D host, although the runtime on it would be absolutely ridiculous.