(CNN) -- Ronald Reagan is dead (edit)

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think this is political so I will post it here. For me anyway President Reagan was a great communicator and he made me feel good to be an American. (He did scare me a little) I wish him and his family well. Story

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
Re: (CNN) -- Ronald Reagan\'s health is deteriorating

Yep. He was an FDR-type president. When you get down to brass tacks on FDR's accomplishments, there is as much against as there is for, but at the end of the day, he was a real leader, and is remembered fondly by history, despite his questionable New Deal programs and his underestimation of Stalin at Yalta. But, he earned a lot of style points for his reassuring, presidential way during both the Depression, and the Second World War. Similarly, Reagan drug the country out of a post-Vietnam War funk. Most people (I think), like with FDR, can't quite put their finger on why, but they like him, and remember those 8 years fondly.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, liked him, good communicator, made me feel good.

I don't remember those years fondly.
But... let's just remember the nice parts.

Most (probably should say...ALL) Presidents have blemishes.
Some ideological, some illegal.
It is hard to elect a truly good person to President.
Something like that "nice guys finish last" notion.

Reagan was, at least, a nice guy. Let's remember that part.

Empath

Flashaholic

He was a personable guy. On a personal level I found him quite likable. Politically, I found him lacking. He may not have been the greatest, or even a good president, but he acted the part well. No doubt he represented the ones pulling the strings well.

He was significant to me, probably for the same reason he was significant to many. I voted for him the first term. By the second term, I not only voted against him, but dropped the 'republican' designation and registered 'independent'. Until then, I'd proudly wore the label 'republican'. He probably did more to swell the ranks of 'independent' voters than any one man in modern history.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

well stated everyone!

what struck me was that everything i have read shows that he loved America dearly--and that he was a rather bright and eloquent man.
even if you didnt agree with his policies, the man always tried to do his best for our country.

Bob

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
By the second term, I not only voted against him...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I knew the day would come when I'd finally meet the guy who voted for Walter Mondale in the 1984 election!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: (CNN) -- Ronald Reagan\'s health is deteriorati

Is it true that his disease began shortly after becoming president? I saw something about that some months ago, on TV, but don't know if it's been verified. That could explain some of his behavior.

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened

Remember his Challenger speech? One thing's for sure, they'll talk about him far longer than any of us.

Well, onward.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was saddened when I heard the news. I think he always did what he really thought was best in agregate, not for the individual but the agregate is important as well.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

My first Presidential vote was in 1980. Yep, I voted for Reagan. He was THE man for the 80's!

My goodness, someone actually voted for Mondale???

WOW!

Rest in Peace Mr. President!!!!

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think he was the best president of my lifetime.

Britt

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: Ronald Reagan has passed away

I heard on Fox (as "breaking news" during the Mariners/White Sox game) an hour or two ago that he croaked at his Bell-Air home today, at age 93. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

metalhed

Enlightened

As I said down below:

Even though I was never a fan of Mr. Reagan when he was publicly active, I wish to express my sadness at his passing. I hope his death provides closure for his family, who have struggled with his deteriorating health. A sad day for America.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

A sign I'm getting older I guess, as he is the first president I voted for to die. He has his good and bad points but I thought he brought a respectability back to America and the American people that had been sorely lacking for quite some time, pretty much since Watergate. I have a great respect for Nancy Reagan and how she has handled herself and the situation since the president was diagnosed with the terrible disease.

RIP, Mr. Reagan.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd like to thank all of the anti-conservatives here for their basic decency on this thread.

I won't post my specific thoughts about his passing, but I was sitting around kind of sad and kind of feeling a bit bereft about it.

Then I dropped in at the DEMOCRATIC UNDERGROUND to see what they were saying about it.

Now my sadness has passed into disgust and anger. As crazy and irritated as some of the political threads here at CPF and the CPF Undergound make me feel, I appreciate that no one has sunk to such depths of hatred and irrationality. Thanks guys.