McLux PR and heat?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a McLux PR with a BB750 which I'm using in a E2d running Pila's.

I have two Arc4+'s and they have thermo protection but as far I know the BB750 doesn't! The question is how long can I run this BadBoy till it self destructs? A certain temperature or what?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don:

Left it ON for about five minutes I guess. Used a Fluke 65 IR temp probe and read 115 deg. at the bottom of the grooves on the head. The battery pack was up to 95 deg.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bill,

Is that F or C? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I think you will be fine, temperature wise; especially if you are carrying the light around when you are using it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as a comparison point-SF L4's heat-up to around 150F in a few spots.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Bill,

Is that F or C? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I think you will be fine, temperature wise; especially if you are carrying the light around when you are using it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The key is to carry the light during extended usage. I have a DB750 LuxV on 3x123, and that sucker got HOT when I left it running on its own for 25 min or so. PAINFULLY HOT! Luckily, no magic smoke! Since the original plan was for my wife to use the light, I did a run on new 123s and held the light in my hand for 2hrs or so. It did get VERY warm, but not to the point of imense discomfort. Still, it runs a little too warm for my wife, so looks like I'll be contacting Don for a new design.

Aloha,

Brian

brightnorm

Flashaholic
You might look into Don's two-stage switch (reviewed in MODIFIED). It is a little gem that might help solve this problem.

Brightnorm

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Bill,

[/ QUOTE ]
Don:

That's in F. I'm in maintainence, so although I use a MagLite for most of my work. The E2d will be my EDC while at work, used for quick looking into things most of the time. There may be times where it may end up on the floor, machine, etc. and not in my hand while switched ON. Just wondering how much of that it can take?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Atomic6 said:
Just as a comparison point-SF L4's heat-up to around 150F in a few spots.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wew! That's pretty warm. Actually ordered a KL4 head for the E2d although it's HA-nat and was on back-ordered! Looked into more. Don only had Mclux PR HA-nat to build and then I seen the McLux PR head in black for sale here.

Now the KL4 is coming, so I got a E2e to match. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll be able to check how hot this one get too!

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BigHonu said:
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Bill,

[/ QUOTE ]

The key is to carry the light during extended usage. I have a DB750 LuxV on 3x123, and that sucker got HOT when I left it running on its own for 25 min or so. PAINFULLY HOT! Luckily, no magic smoke! Since the original plan was for my wife to use the light, I did a run on new 123s and held the light in my hand for 2hrs or so. It did get VERY warm, but not to the point of imense discomfort. Still, it runs a little too warm for my wife, so looks like I'll be contacting Don for a new design.

Aloha,

Brian

[/ QUOTE ]
Like I just posted above/below. There may be times it isn't but probably most often it will be in my hand to heatsink the heat.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
You might look into Don's two-stage switch (reviewed in MODIFIED). It is a little gem that might help solve this problem.

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks! I was just reading posts about it last night. I shall indeed check into it. It would be like a SF L2, is it?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I am using a PR X3T BB750 on 2x123 on a regular basis, and it works very well if carried and used. Never experienced any problems, except when it lay still on my desk.
bernhard

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
I am using a PR X3T BB750 on 2x123 on a regular basis, and it works very well if carried and used. Never experienced any problems, except when it lay still on my desk.
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]
What's the problem then?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
You say "OUCH!" when you pick it back up? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
You say "OUCH!" when you pick it back up? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I said when I tried to plug the wrong end of my cellular handsfree ear piece into my ear! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif
yepp, you say a loud and clear OUCH and maybe some other words I am not allowed to use here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
but I repeat, when using the thing the heat is not an issue.
bernhard

P.S.: and note that a 5W at 750mA is a rather aggressive package for such a small light. IMHO the heat management of the PR is excellent.