Close call with the cops...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was outside playing... err testing my modded Thor spotlight near a rain canal when I get illuminated by a not so bright beam, I say WTF! I turn my light on to the source of the light and I brightly illuminate a police car about 150 yards away. OOPPPSSSS!!! I turn my spotlight to the ground as the patrolcar approaches from the other side of the canal. I am thinking "Sh...T!" The officer asks "What are you looking for?" thru the loudspeaker, I yell "looking for my dog!" He says "Nice spotlight you got there!" and he drives away.

Close call! I can't imagine myself explaining that I am a flashaholic and need to do this sometimes. Has your flasholism gotten you in trouble?

Alex

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
As long as I can control myself with that green laser.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a ticket for shining a MrX. It was out the top of a convertable in a road through the forest. It got thrown out though.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to have missed the topic, what kind of mods did you do to the thor?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I got a ticket for having bright red and blue LEDs on the front of my wheelchair a few years back; it got thrown out though.

Not only were the LEDs too dim to be mistaken for police lights (8 red and 8 blue), they were on my footrest aimed at the ground. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Needless to say though, the LEDs aren't there anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
An acquaintace of mine asked me to wire up some LED windshield wiper fluid nozzles to his battery and lights for him. I obliged, he had already installed them on the hood and hooked up the hoses.

I wired everything up so that when he turned on the lights, the little LEDs in the wiper fluid nozzles would light up as well.

About 2 days later he was pulled over and fined for having... I believe they were red LEDs on his hood.

Don't know if it ended up getting thrown out or not, but he took them off.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
AlexGT said:
...The officer asks "What are you looking for?" thru the loudspeaker, I yell "looking for my dog!" He says "Nice spotlight you got there!" and he drives away.
Alex

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, he sounds like another flashaholic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Yesterday, I was working a parade. Post parade, I went back to the park where the start line was, and there was another event, and NYPD's Air sea rescue chopper was parked in the field, giving tours

Besides the nightsun under the chopper (a Bell 414 BTW) there was a maxabeam next to the hoist controls in the back - it was hard wired into the chopper's electrical, so I did NOT get a chance to turn it on, but the diver said "it's NICE - very bright, basically a hand held night sun"

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modded a Bipin base and fitted the Aurora's HOLA bulb Osram 64625HLX (3600+ lumens), It's really bright!

HTH
Alex

[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:
I seem to have missed the topic, what kind of mods did you do to the thor?

[/ QUOTE ]

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
one night a while back I got pulled over by the cops and they said a car like mine was throwing eggs at other cars
and pedestrians.
I have never thrown an egg at anyone or anything.
they were rude and made me put my keys on the roof of the car and they had their spotlight pointed at my review mirror

I went back and asked the cop in the driver's seat to please turn off the spotlight because it was blinding me.

the cop told me to go back to my car and stay there.

I did and he improved his aim so that it hit me square in the eyes.

after a minute or so I remembered that my vector dual beam 3 million cp spotlight was on the floor of the back seat.

I opend my window aimed it at the driver of the cop car.

It did not take very long for both of them to get out of the car.

I twisted back in my seat facing forward my lap aimed out my window.
when he got to my window I got him straight in the eyes.

a good 2 second blast.
then I put it on the passenger seat.
the driver threatened to beat the poop out of me.
I am quite a bit bigger and younger than the cop.
I smiled and put my hands out the window so he could cuff me
if he wanted to.
I said cuff me that is the only way you will win the fight old man.

he was in his mid 50s and over weight.

he did not cuff me ten minutes later they let me go
no ticket or any thing.

md.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Never **** off men with guns unless you're ready for a gunfight. I was brought up on the very straight and narrow, I couldn't even imagine sassing cops like that.

Brightnorm

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
......and they had their spotlight pointed at my review mirror

I went back and asked the cop in the driver's seat to please turn off the spotlight because it was blinding me.

after a minute or so I remembered that my vector dual beam 3 million cp spotlight was on the floor of the back seat.

I opend my window aimed it at the driver of the cop car.......

md.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you consider moving your mirrors so the light wouldn't blind you? That kind of irreverance for the authorities would get you in (possibly serious) trouble around here.

-Keith

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I'm in front of cars with aberrant headlights, I usually tweak the mirrors to beam it back at them, which sometimes works nicely to give 'em a clue, if I manage to get it right. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but maybe I'll make some nice retroreflectors to do it more automatically.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wanted to mount a HUGE spotlight on top of my car so I can fry the bugger behind me if he decides to be an idiot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Mwwwahahahahaaa!

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
many years ago I had some moron tailgating Me while in a construction zone. I was allready speeding a bit and was not going to push it. The other car also had his high beams on and it was getting on my nurves. I just so happened to have a 1.5millon CP spot light with me so I poped him though My rear window, He turn his lights off then back on and still tailgatted Me so I poped him agen. He ended up shutting his lights off till the end of the construction zone. To this day I don't know why the moron did not use his low beams unless they did not function and was too cheap to fix it.
Few weeks ago a friend got ahold of My MaxaBeam and shined Me in the face as I got out of the bathroom, Now THAT was BRIGHT!! I whanted to kill him but could not see!

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
one night a while back I got pulled over by the cops and they said a car like mine was throwing eggs at other cars
and pedestrians.
I have never thrown an egg at anyone or anything.
they were rude and made me put my keys on the roof of the car and they had their spotlight pointed at my review mirror

I opend my window aimed it at the driver of the cop car.

It did not take very long for both of them to get out of the car.

I twisted back in my seat facing forward my lap aimed out my window.
when he got to my window I got him straight in the eyes.

a good 2 second blast.
then I put it on the passenger seat.
the driver threatened to beat the poop out of me.
I am quite a bit bigger and younger than the cop.
I smiled and put my hands out the window so he could cuff me
if he wanted to.
I said cuff me that is the only way you will win the fight old man.

he was in his mid 50s and over weight.

he did not cuff me ten minutes later they let me go
no ticket or any thing.

md.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are lucky to be alive to tell this tale!

NOT VERY BRIGHT! No pun intended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

For all the police knew, you could have had a gun in the other hand. We live in very serious and dangerous times.

oldgrandpajack

PS: I apologize if this is considered flaming, but I strongly felt something needed to be said.