Reliability of Photon 3

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I seem to get the impression that the Photon 3 has had some issues with it's design and manufacturing. Is this true? From what I have read on this BBS, the problem seems to be with the microprocessor not allowing the LED to shut on or off. Users then have to take out the battery overnight to "reset" the CPU. Have these problems been fixed in the more recent production runs? I am considering buying a white model from the manufacturer's website.

Thanks.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Uncomplicated is best...

I would go with a 'new' photon 2 or (better) an Arc LE in place of the Photon 3 (after all, you don't want to own the second-brightest pocket light, do you?)
grin.gif

Disclaimer; this remark is valued at only $00.02 US...

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good gosh. Don't buy from any(most) manufacter's equipment direct. You can find Photon's at many other sites way cheaper. Like 30-40% less. Try Ebay but be careful(caveat emptor). BTW, I bought four Photon III covert and all are the new model with no problems in the problems
wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
They seem to have ironed out the problems with the first generation P3s. I haven't had a failure in a new (microswitch) type P3 yet, and most of the ongoing problems I've been reading about seem to be with all the original 1st generation P3s still out there.

One easy way to find out which version you have is to open the battery door. If there's a metal strap crossing completely over the batteries about 1/4 of the way in, you have a newer microswitch version. If there's only a small side contact like that found on the Photon Rav'n, you have an earlier version P3.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. I normally don't buy direct from the manufacturer, but I would like to make sure I get the most current revision of the Photon 3. Most distributors wouldn't list the revision number of the P3s that they stock.

Telephony, would you expect that if I order a P3 from LRI, that I would get the latest revision, or would they be likely to get rid of the old design by selling it on the website?

Thanks to everybody.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
John. I don't mean to butt in on telephony but I just checked Bright Guy's site and he has the III for $18.95. He's real good to work with and I'm sure he would tell you the truth if you asked him about which Gen he has in stock. He is well regarded on this forum.
grin.gif
wink.gif

Also check with Texas Tactial Supply(another great guy)
For a full line of lights check ndsproducts.
grin.gif
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Phred, thanks for the info! I will check out the sites you mentioned. $18.95 seems like a really good price. Thanks.

arab

Enlightened
John

Check out http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001181 for my own experiences.

Have a look at http://www.geocities.com/arabbitte/index.html for detailed pictures of the new P3.

My advice? Unless you need the strobe mode, forget the P3, buy an ARC AAA instead!

EDIT:
An important point needs to be made. A P3 arrangement can be just as reliable as a more simple arrangement as found in the ARC AAA - if it's done properly. Just look at all the things in everyday use that we just take for granted that are much more complex than a P3 - when was the last time your casio digital watch broke down ??? A simple circuit can suffer failure without the complications of a CPU. Even the ARC AAA has experienced some of these problems earlier on in it's life ...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Arab, the info is much appreciated. I like your website! Nice pics.

Latest posts