ARC4 field comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Retired*
Well, had a chance to use my ARC4 in the field for several days. Took it to various crystal digging sites and mines, in the Oregon mountains.

I have the Rev.2 ARC4+ with the switch fixes in it.

I find the switch mechanism to be lacking, and the menu interface to be cumbersome. The switch could definitely use alot more tactile and/or audible feedback to the user. It's marginal operation made it even more difficult to operate with ease, especially while occupied with other tasks at hand.

I find an extreme desire for the want of a spot and flood adjustable operation modes. It's beam does not throw that well, such as looking down a mine corridor. And the spot is quite overpowering when looking at light colored areas, and throws your vision out of whack in the mine. I found the primary and secondary mode to be useful in this case, bumping it down when looking at light colored areas on the walls of the mines.

Unfortunately, even the double-click was a pain to operate, especially with cold hands, and when coupled with clay/mud/ water, it became even more difficult.

I found myself constantly wanting to hold the flashlight in my teeth, to free both hands, but its diameter and lack of a biteable surface made it something I chose not to do.

I like the additional knurling of the Rev.2, but personally, I'd opt for a more aggresive knurling and over more of the surface. As my hands got cold and the skin more dried out, the ARC4+ became more difficult to hold without it slipping away on me. Right now, the knurling is more lines in the surface, with extremely smooth and slick tops (flat), instead of the more common diamond peaked knurling you'd find on decent tools. Additional knurling over more of the ARC4+ body would be useful to me.

The gap between the head and tail was a drawback for me. I found it collected mud and grit, that would get into the thread area during a battery change. I found myself using my drinking water to and my toothbrush to scrub out this gap, to clean off my flashlight before a battery change.

I'm older than some of the crowd around here, and believe I have a tendency to use my flashlight at a higher level than others might, plus I often need the level 1 for throw. With the frequent battery changes, I began to wish for alot more efficiency at level 1, so improvements here could be another area that would set this flashlight apart.

One advantage of the level 1, and its low efficiency was that the flashlight got noticeably warm, which worked fairly well to keep my fingers warm.

Will I take it to the field again? Yes. Will it be my primary? No! I'll use it as a secondary backup, or have my wife use it.

triparc.jpg

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now THAT is the way a flashlight was meant to be used. I'm sure Peter will be proud that you are actually USING it as a TOOL and not a toy.

NewBie, the shortcommings of the Arc4 found during your mining trips are things some people are having problems with already. Although, the gap between the bezel and battery tube is something i haven't heard before.

Thanks for your field review, i really enjoyed it. Your picture reminds me of looking at off-road trucks after a day in the mud.

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
LEDagent said:
Now THAT is the way a flashlight was meant to be used. I'm sure Peter will be proud that you are actually USING it as a TOOL and not a toy.

NewBie, the shortcommings of the Arc4 found during your mining trips are things some people are having problems with already. Although, the gap between the bezel and battery tube is something i haven't heard before.

Thanks for your field review, i really enjoyed it. Your picture reminds me of looking at off-road trucks after a day in the mud.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

You shoulda seen the truck!

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
My rev1 goes to work with me every day. It doesn't get quite that dirty very often though.
I think the 2x123 pack could possibly help as far as the battery changing goes. It wouldn't be so often.
As for the gap in the gap between the bezel and battery tube... maybe an oring could help there. I had not noticed that before either. The rev1 doesn't have the gap.

Just a little thought.
mut

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
mut said:
My rev1 goes to work with me every day. It doesn't get quite that dirty very often though.
I think the 2x123 pack could possibly help as far as the battery changing goes. It wouldn't be so often.
As for the gap in the gap between the bezel and battery tube... maybe an oring could help there. I had not noticed that before either. The rev1 doesn't have the gap.

Just a little thought.
mut

[/ QUOTE ]

Most the Rev.2's seem to be ground down, or the gap would have been even larger.

simbad

Enlightened
Mine gets full of salt from the sea almost every week, I use and old tooth brush and fresh water to clean it, specially the gap and lens.Now in my pocket looks clean.

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
simbad said:
Mine gets full of salt from the sea almost every week, I use and old tooth brush and fresh water to clean it, specially the gap and lens.Now in my pocket looks clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simbad, do you notice any corrosion in the white ARC logo area? Reason I ask, is I see bare aluminum in there, under close inspection.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I am glad to see the light being used hard. You guys know how I think in that matter.

Of course, we have plans to continue to improve the design to make it more and more usefull (as has been posted before).

Thanks for the review.

Peter

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Excellent review! You're right on about the switch. I don't find the double clicking to be 100% reliable under pressure, which is why I anticipate needed levels and get there ahead of time to make the light a single click tool. It would be good for the circuit to be optimized for level 3 operation instead of level 8. There is quite a lot of contrast between the hot spot and corona. I find the Arc4 to be a good distance spotlighting tool, but the hotspot overpowers the corona when used up close - limiting the light's usefulness. Variable focus is a design challenge that I would like to see Arc tackle.

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Dave Wright said:
I find the Arc4 to be a good distance spotlighting tool, but the hotspot overpowers the corona when used up close - limiting the light's usefulness.

[/ QUOTE ]

tq

Thats a good way of putting the beam. I couldn't figure out how to say it, just that it is blinding when studying things, but keep in mind you can turn it down. The only drawback is there is less scatter from stuff around you when you turn it down, causing the area around the hotspot to get quite dim.

A variable beam would rock, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.