Communicatiing with people in Japan? Proper form.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Communicatiing with people in Japan?

When I see a name converted into english.

Axxxxx Bxxxxxxx

Which is the name that I should call them? I use the Axxxxx but something tells me that I have been doing this all wrong.

bald1

Enlightened
Re: Communicatiing with people in Japan? Proper f

Jon,

Take an example... say Tachura Tokunaga. The honorific address would be Tokunaga-San. The first name would only be used when permission has been given or the use invited.

That help?

--Bob

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks bald1,

I have traded e-mails and PMs with a couple of people in Japan and their command of the English language was very good.

I need to write an e-mail to someone that I do not know, I might know them by there CPF handle but I do not know them by their name. I think I owe them some money but I am not 100% sure. They placed an order but I received the 300% more money than was expected.

I think they mistakenly sent that much money but it is possible that they want the orderX3. I just want to properly communicate to see if I need to send 2/3s of the money back to them or if I need to send them 300% more stuff. I don't want to rip anyone off.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have not received e-mail back from them yet. Hmmm, I really think they sent more money than they intended though I wish it was a big sale. I think if they do not respond by this time tomarrow. I send 2/3s of the money back to them.

bald1

Enlightened

Jon,

It may take a while given the time difference for you to receive a response. Regardless you're to be commended for what you're trying to set right.

Best!

--Bob

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

In an English letter or email, most people will write their name the `western way`, given name first, family name next. Usually here, it's opposite.

For business matters, it is better to address the person by their family name unless you know them personally. But of course, no big fuss, we are familiar with your customs.

Anyway, a look at the full name will easily tell.
If you need help in communicating to someone in Japan, I may be able to help you.

nisshin

Enlightened

There is actually an interesting controversy over this in Japan. For a long time, writing a name in English meant doing it the American way, as in John Smith. But in Japan, and other Asian cultures, everyone writes their names backwards, as in Smith John. (Family takes precedence over the individual.) The Chinese write their names in English in their native order, that is, Smith John. So, Mao Tse-Tung's last name is Mao, and his first name(s) is Tse-Tung. So the Japanese look over at the Chinese and think, hey, why can't we also do it "our" way. So the Japanese Ministry of Education started making English-language textbooks with Japanese names written like Smith John. Thus, if you are dealing with the older, conservative-style, crowd, they will write their names in the American way, that is, John Smith. But the younger, politcally correct, crowd may write Smith John. In other words, you're in a no-win situation! (Unless you can recognize what is a last name and what is a first name in Japanese!)

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

So I guess that makes me an 'old conservative' and politically incorrect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Honestly though, most people are quite tolerant with foreigner's misunderstandings. Some may even find it amusing to be addressed by their first name by a complete stranger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any luck yet, Jon?

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

No luck yet. And I am sure I owe them a little more than $300.00 unless I am completly misunderstanding something.
If I do not hear from this person by this evening US time. I might send you a PM or e-mail. Perhaps I was difficult to understand.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jon san, you no difficult anda stando. Japanese Englishu ejucation bery bado.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
nekomane said:
Jon san, you no difficult anda stando. Japanese Englishu ejucation bery bado.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nekoman San /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif What is that jargon ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

ok,

I have no responce yet, I am going to take up nekomane's offer to communicate for me.

Flashlight Enthusiast

What does the "san" translate to??

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
What does the "san" translate to??

[/ QUOTE ]
357 sama,
Something like Mr/Mrs/Ms. And sama is more polite and respectful than san /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic

So, for instance Nekomane sama would be more honorable ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) than Nekomane san?
Can you tell me what the difference is? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
Also, is there a difference between adressing females and males? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, B@rt sama would be more honorable than B@rt san. The difference? Never thought about it, it's kind of natural. If only I could find an English comparison, but there seems to be none.
A shop clerk would call the customer using 'sama'. It is not just more honorable, but formal too. Business letters would be written using 'sama'.
There are other words too like 'chan' which you would use for children or friendly, intimate relationships.
For adults, the same 'san' or 'sama' is used. But for children or students, 'san' is for females, and 'kun' is used for males. I'm getting confused myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Back on topic, Jon I have contact with your customer and have sent you a PM. Paypal played tricks on this poor guy.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, sending the refund when I get home. Thanks nekomane!!!

The only reason I did not refund immediately. I did that with another customer that I thought had overpaid me. I then got a note wanting to know why I canceled half of there order.

I am learning to assume nothing and ask everything.

Thanks
Jon

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your are very welcome Jon sama /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

The money has been refunded.
Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts