2pak of MiniMag at Target $6.97 -- bogus

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today's Target newspaper ad listed a 2 pack of MiniMag for $6.97 (with a picture of two lights). When asked where the advertised items were located, the floor guy said the ad was a "misprint" and actually referred to the two batteries in the single MiniMag package. Yeah, right.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the same ad in todays paper and I thought it was a great bargain to get some Min*mags for modding. But it sounded too good to be true.

Bigiron, you saved me a trip to Target tonight, thanks!

If Target were sincere in selling they would honor their ad. I mean, how many Min*mags would they really sell? Not a lot of people know what the real price of the light is and many people, not including CPFers, really want more than one light in their house (car, boat) so how many would Target really sell? Not a lot. But Target would gain a few points from the buyers of the light by honoring their sale price.

rookie

Enlightened
Found out the hard way also.....

It really did sound too good to be true....

litho123

Enlightened
You're right, it's bogus..

I found a single 3D Maglite @ Target, item not listed when running it under the price scanner, took it to the counter stating that it was on clearance a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find a price. Store clerk verified it and I walked out with it for under $5.00 tax included.

Keep an eye out at your local Target.

sflate

Enlightened
I too found out the ad was bogus, but I did get a deal anyways. They had other Maglite's on sale, like 2AA Mini-mag on sale for $6.79 from $8.89. I didn't need a mini-mag, but I picked up a rain check form for the blue mini-mag that they were out of. I took that to the register and printed out the form. It states that you can wait for it to be in stock OR use the form to get the same percentage (24% in this case) off of another item in the same category. I then went back to the flashlight aisle and bought Copper 2D Maglite and they gave me the 24% off.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
By law they are required to honor their ad and give you what it says. There was some court ruling against bait and switch tactics (even if it's just a misprint, in this case). I can't remember what it was called though.

It may have been an honest mistake, though.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went in and talked to them about it and they said it was only "2 packs" of minimags. Has anyone ever seen 2 mini mags in the same package? Cause I havent.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only "2 packs" I have seen are a D/AA combo pack. I believe that Sams has carried it for a while, but it still isn't a great deal overall. I'm going to have to drop by the local Target tomorrow and check out the flashlight section. It's a tough job, but somebody has got to do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did go to service desk to seek raincheck, but the "huh?" factor was so high (and I was pressed for time) that I blew it off. Did buy one AA for $6.xx to put new led mod in.

RH

Enlightened
Hi Endeavour,

I'm pretty sure they do not have to honor the sales price. A sale price is simply an "offer for sale." They have the right to decide not to sell it to you.

Thanks,
Robert

rookie

Enlightened
Usually, if it's an error in the ad, all they have to do is to print a retraction in the paper. So all you have to do is read the entire Sunday paper, and I'm sure that you will find a small square ad stating that it was a mis-print in the regular ad.

Avix

Newly Enlightened
untill they post an retraction in a public forum, they have to honour the printed price, and if you offer cash and they refuse to sell it to you you get it for free (all debts public and private), these are both common law going way back to before the revolution. (American Common Law evolved from English Common Law)

and Common Law does not have to be written, it is generaly accepted as "common expectation and practice"

RH

Enlightened
Hi Avix,

I'm pretty sure they don't have to honor the advertised price. It is an offer for sale that can be "renegotiated" up until money changes hands. At least this is what was explained to us in a business law class. Maybe a lawyer could chime in?

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys -- these type laws are state specific -- what may be a law in one state may be completely different or not a law at all in another. "Common law" means nothing as far as enforcement is concerned -- a law must be codified (i.e. written by the state legislative body and have enforcement provisions) before thare can be any enforcement. Your state Attorney General's (or whatever in your state) website can probably provide reference to the appropriate statutes.

Besides, I had a lot better things to do than stand around trying to explain good business practices to a 18yr old "assistant floor manager" who probably couldn't spell "satisfied customer".

batterystation

Enlightened
I worked a number of years as an assistant manager in a large chain lumber retail outfit and I can almost guarantee that there is small print everywhere that kills any obligation of fulfilling that advertised price. This fine print is probably in that very sales flyer and published in the store. Where you might get the deal is by talking to the right person and having him/her over-ride the misleading ad. I did this on a number of occasions to keep a customer happy even though the ad was a misprint and we had no legal obligation to honor it. It was a discretionary call for the manager on duty.

capnal

Enlightened
Went to Target last night,
my store in southwest part of Fort Worth had a big, probably 12" x 14" sign right in the middle of the Maglite section of the lites isle, doing their best to clarify and apologize for the confusion of the printed ad.

In my book, you make a mistake, you identify that you made the error, try to make it right, AND MOVE ON. Looks like Taget is trying to do their part of it...