Armored bulldozer rampage: How would you have stopped it?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
BULLDOZER RAMPAGE

story.bulldozer2.ap.jpg

0604bulldozer-rampage04-ON.jpg

Brightnorm

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Armored bulldozer rampage: how would you have stop

have they given the details on the zoning dispute that made him so mad that he wanted to do this

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: Armored bulldozer rampage: how would you have stop

a dozen highly traned attack kittens

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Re: Armored bulldozer rampage: How would you have

With a LAWS missle. Maybe a TOW fired from an AH-64. Perhaps call in an air strike with an A-10.

That was as entertaining as the time somebody stole a M-60 tank and went on a rampage through San Diego squashing cars and knocking down light poles. He only stopped when he tried to go through the concrete median divider walls on the freeway and got hung up.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

when I looked it up, all I keep seeing is a zoning dispute. I was looking for details. Someone has to be really angry to do this. I just wonder if the finding against was unfair. Even if it was, it does not justify what he has done but wondering if he was not treated unfairly. I have no facts at all but just wondering.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

An EMP to the motor,a BIG AP round thru the driver/motor/tranny, maybe flodding the exaust pipe with a firehose.

I can imagine him saying just after he got screwed "I'll be back!"

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

How about a Barret with a RUFOSS round <g> - Heck, even straight M2 Ball would go through what he had as "armor" - M2 will do 2" of plate at 100 yds

Edit:
Seems they tried a .50 cal - Must not have had any armor piercing rounds available - they said it was 1/2" plate, and .50 AP is speced to blow through that like butter. I KNOW the Rufoss round will - of couse the BORROWED the .50 from a civilian, and most won't keep AP around, and RUFOSS isn't leagal (It's an explosive API round)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
AlexGT said:
An EMP to the motor,a BIG AP round thru the driver/motor/tranny, maybe flodding the exaust pipe with a firehose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just going to suggest the EMP blast to the electrical system. Flooding the exhaust pipe is an interesting idea also, as long as they could've gotten access to it while he was moving.

If you shot the Co2 into the engine compartment, would that starve the engine of air long enough to stall it?

turbodog

Flashaholic

EMP? To a diesel engine? Yeah, okay.

I think the question was posed seriously. What do you stop this thing with on short notice that's available at your local police station? Don't forget, the driver was firing a gun out of the dozer also.

My quick answer would have been a massive pepper spray attack. Surely some of it would have gotten in.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the event of no anti-armor weapons, do what the Czechs did in Prague in '45 against German tanks, throw Molotov Cocktails.

turbodog

Flashaholic

I kept looking for links about this on the net thinking someone would have more information than others. Sure enough.. I found something interesting. The driver had an air supply in there along with video cameras and tv. It went on to say that the armor was 1/2" thick plate steel in 2 layers with concrete sandwiched between them.

(in my best Joe Dirt impersonation) DANG!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not a heck of a lot you could do with everyday things. Blocking off or flooding the exhaust should do it (goes right into the turbo). They dropped a flashbang down it but it didn't do the trick. Trapping it over obstacles like dragon's teeth (concrete pyramids) to bust the tracks. Starting a huge fire to cook the guy...

Conventional small AP ball rounds woudn't go through the laminated armor. Maybe a big 'ol shaped charge or a 155, but there isn't an "Anti-Tank Weapons "R" Us" in most towns.

Anyway, there's something that really gets me down about this. I have to admire a guy who invents and builds his own armored dozer tank of destruction. It's a shame his was a suicidal nut.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flamethrower. Cook the ******* out. Ok, probably not standard issue anymore for any police force or National Guard unit, but maybe get a small gasoline tanker truck, hose down the 'dozer with gas, and ignite it. If it doesn't directly affect the driver, it will at least melt hoses and wiring insulationa and might bring the machine to a halt.

Baring any pyrotechnics, pull a Jack Bauer and find the person the bulldozer driver cares most about and place them in front of the dozer in harms way.

If they are a little more compassionate than that, get several other large bulldozers or similar heavy equipment and have a good old fashioned demo derby.

-Keith

maverick

Enlightened

Surely it wouldn't take that long for one or two guys from the army or national guard to come out with a LAW??

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I heard in one source that someone with a D11 kept him from leaving town with the killdozer. What I'd do for video of that.

paulr

Flashaholic

I wouldn't want to drive a gasoline tanker truck anywhere near someone firing shots at it ;-).

I'd think the local cops would be helpless against it. If they have some dynamite around, they could try getting some underneath the bulldozer hoping to blow off a track or flip it over, but aside from that, I think the best plan is get on the phone to FEMA and ask for air support from some nearby AFB. Maybe they could send some A-10's to shoot some antitank rounds into it.

Either that, or send an even bigger bulldozer after it...