Sl-20x reflector/lamp into Mag-lite 4D?

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I've been doing some research on the forums for this mod, but was unsuccessful in finding any information.

Can anyone direct me to the link or show me how to fit and make the sl-20x reflector/lamp work in a 4D Mag-lite?
Thanks for your help.

ubermensch

Enlightened
There are two ways--a bi-pin adapter that goes in right where the regular bulb would or a complete switch/pedestal overhaul that would run wires from the switch to the pins on the lamp assembly. The latter would look like this

adapter.jpg

A challenging mod for a beginner like myself. This is with a 6D and Sl-35x, it is real bright. The problem is how to get the lamp assembly to keep from rotating when you screw the head back on.
As for the bi-pin adapter way. . . if you have really small fingers you could make one yourself.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
oh...looks like a very challenging mod for me at least. Your first suggestion, I think I'll try. Thanks a lot. Also, thanks to Ginseng for your suggestion too. I'll try them both.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uber,
It looks like you used solid core wire. I think you might get better results if you use ultra flexible silicone coated wire that's available from RC hobbyist websites. That way, you could build in a pile of excess length and not worry about the lamp twisting. Or, just introduce some pre-twist in the opposite direction to the bezel rotation and it'll unwind as you screw the head down.

Sky,
If you use the 4D body, you must use 5C cells in it since the SL-20 LAs are 6-volt units. Also, the 20X LA is a 1.7A unit. It might be ok with alkies but rechargeables would be better. The lower amp SL-20XP units would work fine with alkies.

Wilkey