xnova AA mod?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could put a Lux on it. The electronic circuit in Xnova runs 400mA. The electronics work well. You can see how bright the stock light is with 5 LEDs.

Then you could attach two Xnova lights together like I did in this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=587720&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1

I'm surprised the circuit can hold together with the doubling of voltage. So in this configuration the output of the circuit is operating at maximum with plenty of power reserve. In the Xnova 2 x AA, the "Xnovacane", set up it is a primed and begs for a Luxeon. A heat sink wouldn't be necessary because of the aluminum head.

To put a Lux and optics would require the head of the light to be extended. It can probably be done using a spare Xnova tail cap.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no threads because it is a press fit with internal ribs to hold the head on. The fitting works real well, doesn't it?

To remove the head you open the battery access hole and dunk the light in water. When the light is full you close the battery cap and put the light in the refrigerator freezer. As the water freezes and expands it will force the head of the light up. You might have to do this method a couple of times for the head to push up far enough but eventually the top will come out. I've done this to three different lights and it always worked.

I learned this trick after I butchered an Xnova from another member of the cpf forum.

nexro

Enlightened
I have done a simple mod to mine. I replaced the LEDs with UV LEDs and now I have the xnova UV /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
However, the light is very dim when compared to a single UV LED on coin cells /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

pbarrette

Enlightened
Hi all,

This is the original "Freezer Method" thread for removing the head of the Inova lights. This method also seems to work well with the Xnova's.

pb

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nexro, have you thought about trying to use just one UV LED? You would have 5 times the current available to the UV emitter doing that.