First Impressions: nexgen BadBoy 1000 with McE2S

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

thanx to Don and Wayne I have the immense pleasure to report my first impressions of the new yet-to-be-named next generation BadBoy board (subsequently called nexgenBB) coupled with the upcoming McE2S two-stage switch for E-Series lights.

The nexgenBB was installed in a PR-NAT head and rides a SF E1e with the McE2S module packed in the regular LOTC. It is this light:

ng_fireplug.jpg

The nexgenBB was set for a burning 1000mA drive current and makes a very useful combo with the two-stage tailcap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif .
Since I do not own a light-meter, I will show you comparison beamshots of the high mode (1000mA) compared to well known similar setups.
The competitors:

ng_competitors.jpg

All the lights use the PR and a HD LED, but tint varies and there's the luxeon lottery at play, as we all know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif. If the new board does what we expect it to do, it should be brighter than the BB611 and about the same brightness as Don's Porsche DB917. The shots:

ng_917_vs_ng.jpg

DB917 – nexgenBB1000 (corona shot)

ng_917_vs_ng_spot.jpg

DB917 – nexgenBB1000 (hotspot shot)

ng_611_vs_ng.jpg

BB611 – nexgenBB1000 (corona shot)

ng_611_vs_ng_spot.jpg

BB611 – nexgenBB1000 (hotspot shot)

And yes, it did perform exceptionally well! To the eye there is no noticeable difference between the nexgen and the Porsche while it clearly outperforms the 611.

I ran two Battery Station CR123 through the light and got about 45min of regulated runtime, which is almost incredibly long! By regulated runtime I mean the time the light works at the same perceived brightness until it starts flickering. As I really have no clue about how it works and Wayne's explanations didn't help me there either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, I am just assuming that this should be the time it runs in regulation. Anyway, to my eye the brightness was constant and no flickering occurred until about 45min constant on.
I measured about 1.25A current draw on the CR123 in high mode with my new DMM. Bernie goes high-tech ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Heat was not a problem, the head got warm but never ever too hot to hold.

With the McE2S there is a low mode. In fact, as you all might know by now, the modified LOTC works just like the L1/L2/A2 switch. It does so perfectly well, there is that feel of quality and reliability that I have come to like so much in high-end lights like SF and Arc.
The transition from low to high is flawless without flickering and hasn't failed me once until now.
The low beam is achieved by incorporating a resistor thus kicking the converter out of regulation, it is unregulated. At least this is the case with the older boards, here … /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
The low beam looks like this:

ng_arcAAA_vs_nglow.jpg

Arc AAA LE – nexgenBB1000 with McE2S on low

ng_mclux_tk_vs_nglow.jpg

McLux TK – nexgenBB1000 with McE2S on low

As you can see it is still plenty bright, and most important, just bright enough that the corona is quite usable in close-up tasks while the hotspot does not blind you, yet it reaches out surprisingly far.
In fact, I ended up using the low-beam in constant on almost all the time and used the high beam only occasionally. The balance of the two is incredibly well chosen.

I did not do runtime tests on the low beam, it should be sufficiently long IMHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

In the end, this fabulous new board paired with the upcoming 2-stage switch gives us incredibly high power for quite a long runtime in a 1x123 package with a very long running low-mode that is still bright enough for almost everything.

WOW ! One step further to the perfect EDC.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Wayne and Don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

... and thanx for letting me write this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bernhard

P.S.: please note that these are my personal impressions only and that I do not possess the instrumental and mental capacities for scientific testing and evaluation.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif BK. 1A from a 123... looks like we'll have some nice EDC style lights coming up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

*Retired*
I'd love to know how it does with other 123 batteries, especially runtime.

How does it compare with other flashlights with the same power source and light output, for runtime?

cy

Flashaholic
Re: First Impressions: nexgen BadBoy 1000 with McE

45 min of runtime from single 123 at high output sounds pretty good.

Miciobigio

Enlightened

This seems to be a real "revolution" ; great work Wayne, Don and Bernhard!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

nexro

Enlightened

Very nice! Beam shots look great too.
I will be waiting for these to be available at the shoppe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review and outstanding photos, Bernhard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I hope you write more of these.

Congratulations, Wayne and Don! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

I'm sold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Britt

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Bernhard,

As the others have said, great write up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I really like the first picture! Cool bud! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have been using a twin to this light and have been amazed at its similarity to the L1-PR-T in terms of the high output. From what I can gather in talking to Wayne, the next gen needs further testing and will likely have some limitations in applications but I sure haven't seen any down side to this particular build combination! BTW, both your light and the one I am using at present have UCL lenses, compliments of Chris at Flashlightlens.com and these lenses are doing their part as well in adding to the release of photons. Thanks Chris! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

This driver of Wayne's has certainly raised the bar over the bad boy for 1x123 and high output. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I'll add my congratulations for this evolutionary step, or perhaps "revolutionary" is more appropriate for a one cell light that equals or exceeds 2x123 917 performance for 3/4 of the 2x123 runtime. Coupled with the McE2S this is a tiny version of Flashaholic heaven.

When will these be available for purchase, and can we use 2x123?

Brightnorm

Kiessling

Flashaholic

thanx all for your support /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

NewBie ... for runtime comparisons have a look at the sticky threads in the review forums and the sandwich shoppe forum, there you'll find plenty.
As a personal experience I can report 51minuntes on a BB600 R2H 1x123 and a little bit more than two hours on a DB700 R2H 2x123.
If my results are valid then this nexgen board is really a little revolution!
But please note that I can just do tests with my eyes, and those can be fooled as I am relying on the flickering and obvious reduction in light output to determine the time the ligth falls out of regulation.

bernhard

McGizmo

Flashaholic

BN,

I believe the next gen driver has a Vin limit around 6 volts and it is a boost only driver so as far as I know, it will notwork with 5W's or a Lux III on 2x123. It may be viable with a Pila but I defer to Wayne and the information to be gleaned by the beta testers.

Progress is being made on the McE2S as I got two key brass components in yesterday. I will be taking them to a plater today for nickel plating which should be an advantage for electrical conductivity and durability.

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
thanx all for your support /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

NewBie ... for runtime comparisons have a look at the sticky threads in the review forums and the sandwich shoppe forum, there you'll find plenty.
As a personal experience I can report 51minuntes on a BB600 R2H 1x123 and a little bit more than two hours on a DB700 R2H 2x123.
If my results are valid then this nexgen board is really a little revolution!
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

Kiessling I'm pretty sure they are valid, I had a similar setup in a 2AA Mag back in January.

I did the first version, but in a constant voltage variety, with a larger inductor:
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/th1000.jpg

Finished up here:
pill.jpg

It is what was used for this:
maglux.jpg

Here is what I saw:
effici~1.jpg

Details are in this thread, way back when:
Fighting with efficiency

Also, a hint for you all. The efficiency will depend alot on your flashlight body, connections, switches, springs. Even 0.1 ohms total resistance will have an impact.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Bernhard,

Just for you, I actually did a run time with real test equipment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

NG1000-1x123.jpg

LX 102 light meter plugged into Fluke 189 DMM communicating with LapTop via IR cable using FlukeView Forms. I set the light 39" from the light meter and pretty much walked away. Since this was my first test of this kind, I blew it by not starting at a quarter on the hour so the X axis is kind of funky. The spike at the beginning of the graph relates to the light going from ambient to uncomfortably hot seeing as it was just clamped in place with no great sink to relieve the thermal output. Although this graph doesn't have a real flat line of output for the first hour, given the magnitude of the output, I'll take it over a flat line that would likely be well below it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Good job Wayne!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Uh, Newbie,

I'm glad you concurred with Bernhard's findings but I am not sure that I can follow all of the visual support you have provided to support this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow,

Nice graph there Don. The converter as supplied is running in "safe" mode. That's like a hot rod running on idle. Wait till it kicks into high gear.

Of course safe mode is semi-regulated which results in a longer and more useful runtime.

Glad you guys like it.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
dat2zip said:
Wow,

Nice graph there Don. The converter as supplied is running in "safe" mode. That's like a hot rod running on idle. Wait till it kicks into high gear.

Of course safe mode is semi-regulated which results in a longer and more useful runtime.

Glad you guys like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, if that is "safe mode" I can't wait to see what happens when the sucker is floored!

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

A run-time graph from *DON*

This is a special day!!