Solar filters

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The transit today has got me wondering.

What is the best form of solar filter? I have a 4.5" and an 8" Newt, and I would like to view the sun, but I don't much like projection methods - I'm too scared of killing my eyepieces.

I don't know about Herschel wedges for reflectors, because the secondary mirror might get too hot. So it looks like some objective filter (if I'm not wrong about the Herschel).

BTW I'll be watching the transit through a friend's scope (with filter!!!!!!!!!) at the observatory. Unfortunately the heliostat won't be operational. The observatory burnt down last year in the Canberra fires. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What is the best stuff for me to use? Mylar might get scratched too, so that seems a bit risky. How about this stuff?

I don't have lots of money to spend either. I just bought two Blaster 3Ps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't use anything but a dedicated, mirrored, glass, filter for your particular scope. I enjoy watching sun spots all year with mine.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
What sort is that? I want something (of course) that totally filters IR and UV. I assume it does?

Don't want no eye boilage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gifuchy:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have looked at the sun thru a CD with my sunglasses on but only for less than 2 seconds, it works, but I do not reccomend it.

Alex