cigars

matt_j

Enlightened
I prefer pipe... Every now and than I puff away on my mild vanilla honey tobaco or some good old Savinelli mix. Two of my partners (ambulance crews) smoke cigars. I want to show some apprcieation this Friday and give them a nice smoke for a night tour. They smoke good stuff and I just hate going to the salesman in the cigar shop since they always try to push old stock out before sincere advice. So guys what would you recommend? I don't mind paying up to $20 for each.

Matt

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Dunhills, Macanudos, Baccarats...there's mild, medium, & heavier smokes. "They say" as one smokes more - one's "taste" may change and they may enjoy a heavier bodied smoke...depends on taste. I suppose one who enjoys cigars, would appreciate any "good" cigar.

I think there was another thread on this subject here in "The Cafe"...you may do a search for it? I seem to remember a lot of advice/opinion some time ago...

bigcozy

Enlightened
If you want a good, stout smoke for a good price - check out the Belinda Blacks over at JR's. If you are used to mild, smooth smokes (read expensive) they will probably blow your head off, but for a bold smoke after a big meal, can't be beat for the price. I have tried JR's much heralded Alternative brands, and I did not care for any of them. I like strong Maduro's and have come to favor the Sancha Panza Double Maduro.

Samoan

Enlightened
Rats,

Wish I would have seen this thread sooner. So much depends on the preferences of the folks you're buying cigars for. Over the course of the last dozen years or so my tastes have moved to stronger, fuller bodied cigars. One of my best cigar buddies has been smoking for decades but still goes for a milder stick.

Matt, Let me know if there's anything in particular you're looking for. Even the most seasoned Flashaholic would look at my cigar stash and say, "Dude, I think you might have a problem..." Don't assume that everything I have can be bought in the city...if you get my drift. Feel free to ask.

Randall, If you're digging the Sancho Panza DM's I've got something interesting for you on the way.

bald1

Enlightened
Samoan,

My tastes too have evolved over the years to a point where I have specific preferences for the time of day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My standbys include Artuero Fuente Double Chateau, Paratagas No. 10, El Rey del Mundo Robusto, and Montecristo Kilimanjaro.

--Bob

bigcozy

Enlightened
SAMOAN YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to say that the Mayorga Maduro far, far exceeded my expectations. Very full bodied, but no bite. Perfection. I am almost giddy thinking about the Hoyo Sumatra, but I am saving it. One of my friends referred to my taste in cigars as wanting smokes so strong they "punch you". I think strength is just personal, most of my friends always opt of the milder and smoother Partagas and Arturo Fuente, but smoking one of those just leaves me wanting more.

Good Story:

Recently I was called out by some of my peer group, these were mostly women, about smoking. I said that there wasn't anything much better on a brutally hot day that spending it inside in comfort watching golf and sipping Wild Turkey with a good cigar. This incensed them as they reeled off the negative health effects of smoking. I told them how much a cigar costs just to light them up some more. After they worked themselves into a frenzy and were deciding if I was going to die on the spot from cigars and if I did if I would be elgible for my Final Reward, I gave them my punch line.

"You girls have Zoloft, I have cigars"

You can quote me.

Samoan

Enlightened
I love al those come-backs to those that get on your case about cigars. I am always very aware of other people around me and try to avoid bother anyone with my smoke. Just because I love the smell doesn't mean other people do.

The one I hate the most is when some guy with a cigarette decides to start on me about my cigar. Does he have NO idea how bad his cigarette smells compared to me cigar?

-F

kaseri

Enlightened
One of THE most sought after Cigars is the Opus X. You should be able to find a good size for about $20.00

Excellent smoke. Perfect draw and wonderful flavor.

Samoan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kaseri said:
One of THE most sought after Cigars is the Opus X. You should be able to find a good size for about $20.00

Excellent smoke. Perfect draw and wonderful flavor.

[/ QUOTE ]

$20?!

I know they're hard to find but if you're paying $20 you're paying too much...or you live in a state with sick taxes.

-F