Submarine/deepsea monster movies

matt_j

Enlightened
I love movies that happen underwater (undersea monsters/submarine). So far in my collection I have:

-K19
-Das Boot
-Crimson Tide
-Hunt for Red October
-20000 L. Under the Sea
-Leviatan
-Deep Star Six
-u571
-the abbys

Anything else that you guys would recommend?

BobVA

Enlightened
Off the top of my head:

007 movies:
"Thunderball"
"Never Say Never" (Thunderball remake)

"The Enemy Below" (B&W WWII movie)

"Men of Honor" (Cuba Gooding)

"The Deep" (70's movie, Nick Nolte & Jackie Bisset)

Cheers,
Bob

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok, how come every time a submarine leaks you just turn a valve and the water stops. How come it is never at 1000psi and kills the people instantly?

Other then that I really like underwater flicks.

glenthemole

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
Ok, how come every time a submarine leaks you just turn a valve and the water stops. How come it is never at 1000psi and kills the people instantly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the hole was very small /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hunt for Red October's a pretty good film, the books much better though.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about that terrible Poseiden Adventure? That was the exception. Aside from seeing more of Ernest Borgnine and Shelly Winters than is healthy, the thing with the open hatches drove me nuts. (A short drive)

As the inverted ship kept sinking and they climbed forever 'upward' towards the bottom of the ship they had to leave every hatch open on their way so the camera could always pan back and see the water following them. It followed them because they never closed a hatch!

Then there was the one where they wanted us to believe that an airliner full of air would sink to the bottom...

I like the genre, though, very much.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:

Other then that I really like underwater flicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like asking why the new guy on the older star trek episodes was allmost allways killed or better yet why the A-Team was allways locked into a tool shed or garage with more then enough tools and supiles to bust out and kick butt.

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
Interesting thread. Run Silent, Run Deep immediately comes to mind, with Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster starring.

From ALLMOVIEGUIDE.com: "Run Silent, Run Deep stands out from the glut of late 1950s submarine movies thanks to the intriguing John Gay script, skilled direction by Robert Wise, and the sheer star power of Burt Lancaster and Clark Gable. Wise creates a tense, foreboding atmosphere, heightened by the palpable animosity that the two actors bring to their roles..."

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
Been a long time since seeing that. Kind of slow, my memory banks suggest. This thread reminds me I have YET to see K19.

Critically, of course, there's no contest in this genre. DAS BOOT sort of rules the roost, and 20,000 Leagues tends to be on most people's list. Never get tired of RED OCTOBER. "Be careful what you shoot at, Ryan. Things in here don't react well to bullets."

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw K19 a few weeks ago. I had read about the boats story months ago. Having spent years at sea I actually cringed through much of the movie. I really liked it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Das Boot in German?
Or with English subtitles?
Or in English (with German subtitles?)
SuperBit with dts?

I have this saying from a submarine movie - "set condition 1-SQ". I usually use it whenever I or somebody else is about to do something involving an action. Most often preparing to fire a rubberband or throw something in the office.

It's from Crimson Tide:
"This is the captain. Set condition one-SQ for strategic missle launch. Spin of missles one through five and twenty through twenty-four. The release of nuclear weapons has been authorized. This is not a drill."

I never got to see the movie "up periscope" which looked quite funny... Is it worth finding?

Al

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
Hey, you just reminded me of the classic Operation Petticoat. The old Cary Grant/Tony Curtis pink submarine yarn. Not much of a nail biter, but good stuff if you're a Cary Grant fan (a sitting through any of his Hitchcock stuff takes care of that).

DAS BOOT, in German, with English subtitles. Nothing like a taste of authenticity. Does Germany still keep any kind of navy these days? Guess they must. Definitely the days of the Bismarck and the Seydlitz are over...

matt_j

Enlightened
Well there is a new "version" of Das Boot. They are releasing the orginal uncut mini series which is going to be even longer and better than uncut extended movie version.

83Venture

Enlightened
The Bedford incident was always one of my favorite movies. On the A-Team: It allways drove me crazy that they could empty automatic weapons into something, bullet holes everywhere but never hit anyone.