Carley 2" reflector mods

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Carley 2\" reflector mods

Hi all,

Having just reworked a bunch of Carley reflectors to fit Mag heads, I thought I'd post the changes necessary to make the 1940 style reflectors fit.

modified_carley.jpg

The bore for the bulb pedestal will just allow the retaining ring to slip inside. This will aid in centering the bulb.

The depth will prevent any material removal from the face of the reflector while still allowing proper focus.

Note that you will need to move the bulb pedestal down to allow the head to screw down past the o-ring and focus. See Ginseng's post with my update here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=343163&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1

For turning on the lathe, I stuff cotton balls inside the reflector and tape the big end closed. This seems to keep chips out of the reflector.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Carley 2\" reflector mods

Cool! Now all we need is one for a 3" reflector to fit on the mag body! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened

I'll get right to work on that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Nerd said:
Cool! Now all we need is one for a 3" reflector to fit on the mag body! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't Otokoyama done this very thing?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, it's easier to buy a some 3" carley and to mod it, first. The waiting and anticipation is killing me... lol!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Mike! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif That's very cool information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Uh, does someone without a lathe have any hope of making the necessary modifications to the Carley reflector? Maybe using some combination of drill press, Dremel, and possibly other tools? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

OK, I had to log in to share a little bit of information here about modding the Carley RF1940 for use in a mag head.

GOOD NEWS: For the lathe-deprived, you don't need to worry about putting the PITA steps (shoulders) on there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif It's better to have them, but they're not absolutely necessary. I'll try to explain this in the best detail I can without pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

If you just remove a constant amount of material around the entire perimeter of the front of the RF1940, it will drop right in to the recess in the mag head and will be just about the perfect length too! No reflector surface is lost. The only disadvantage to this is that there isn't a very big nice flat surface for the lens to bear against (you removed it), but there is still about 3/32" - 1/8" of material for the lens to bear against. As long as you don't overtighten the bezel, there shouldn't be a problem with this. You should be able to get the bezel ring nearly all the way on (within about 1 full turn, and with the fine threads you won't notice it).

I used a file set up sideways next to a cutting board to remove the material from the RF1940. I covered the front of the reflector with 2" wide masking tape overlapped in two layers. Then just run the reflector back and forth up against the file at the edge of the cutting board and slowly remove material. If you're careful and keep the removal symmetric (and keep the file perpendicular to the front end of the reflector), you can get the reflector to just drop-fit (is that a word /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif) inside of the big recess in the mag head. I don't have measurments, but if you open up a mag head, you'll see the recess I'm talking about. I believe it's the one that mates up to the second shoulder in the Chief's drawing.

Next, for the back end: Boring a hole that size and keeping my drill from gouging the reflector had me worried. True, if I could get it done it would aid in centering the bulb post. However, the standard mag bulb post doesn't really need much help, so I thought I would try doing without it. So, I carefully chucked the reflector into a vice (soft wood jaws) and cut off the majority of the big post (the .290" of material in the Chief's drawing)with a hacksaw. I used a file and some sandpaper on a flat surface to remove the final bit of material and to make it pretty. After doing this, I found that the mag's bulb post doesn't really need help in centering; it does a pretty decent job on it's own. Having the filament centered in the bulb makes a MUCH bigger difference. Yay! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Finally, the last problem with the RF1940 mod into the mag head is that when the mag head is screwed down onto the body, the bulb post bears against the back of the reflector prior to the o-ring between the mag head and body engaging. On mine, the bulb post hits the reflector just before the o-ring engages. Also, at this depth, the bulb is past the point of perfect focus. To fix this interference problem, you need to lower the bulb post inside of it's spring-loaded holder. Both the Chief and Ginseng have different methods of fixing this, (SEE THIS THREAD)but I will offer you another one. I'll have to leave it to you to find a thread detailing the switch/bulb post removal (don't worry, there are several, just do a search).

Anyway, all I did was find a washer that just fits around the smaller shoulder of the brass roller collar, but was larger in diameter than the bigger shoulder. To make this fix work, you remove the roller collar and put the washer over it, and then re-install it. You'll loose some thread length of the engagement of the roller collar to the bulb post, but it shold go in far enough. Notice that the washer you added grips the plastic bulb post housing, thus fixing the bulb post in the housing and keeping it from moving. I located the bulb post about 2/3 of the way down inside of the housing, and tightened it there. Now I can screw the mag head onto the body and get it about 3/8" past where it engages the o-ring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hope these tips can help some in making their old tired mags into beasts!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif
Have fun, and good luck!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice little techniques there, Mike! I like to see a fresh perspective on something I thought had been all worked out. Not having to grind that lip is a big help.

Wilkey