Opinions on 2AA rebel

BillBill

Newly Enlightened
This light, although kinda old, has a nice long throwing beam (for an LED) and is nice for walking in the dark, etc. It may not be the brightest but can run for a long time.

The clickie tail switch was softer click than I expected w/ a silent signal function. With the plastic ridge around the switch, it was kinda hard to operate with a thumb but really good with the forefinger. And yes, the tailcap threads seem a little cheap.

Rubber grips do help a lot. You can put your thumb and middle finger in grooves so you can activate the switch with the forefinger. Also, they seem rather durable. Not sure about the metal ring though.

The beam was better imo than the typical LED flood. One can spot objects up to sixty feet with the relatively long throw. Plus the sidespill rings can be useful when walking. Those Led lead shadows in the beam don't actually impair actual operation, as I couldn't see the shadows when shining the flashlight onto trees and such.

The body and head were a little bigger than I expected. Why did brinkmann use such a big head for the small reflector and lens? Oh yeah I forgot the electronics. But overall construction is fair for a $15 light. Wonder how durable ABS plastic is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Currently it has about thirty or forty five minutes on it. Is there a runtime plot for the 2AA rebel? Should run at least twelve hours at full brightness. After all the rebel, despite its "tactical" styling, is meant to be a long running LED light.

Im sure a lot of people have this light. Now there are better LED lights out there for the price but the rebel is still a solid single Led light, imo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, this was my first LED flashlight that started me down this "long road" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i've had nothing but depleted/used up old AA batteries since i got it about over a year ago(if not longer) and don't notice any difference in brightness. defineately a long lasting light. it's my bedside spotlight. some beam pics on my latest webshots album(link in my profile).

C

Cosmic Superchunk

The Brinkmann Rebel is a pretty decent LED flashlight for the money. So is the Brinkmann Long Life LED in my opinion. The finish on the ABS plastic does get marred and it can break, but I think you'd have to intentionally bust the light or run over it to damage the body. They make great introductory lights for those who will eventually become hooked to LEDs.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here's a runtime plot for the Brinkmann Long Life which shares the same internals as the Rebel......external differences only.