Surefire L2

crojoe

Newly Enlightened
I've only had it a few hours but so far so good. I never really liked 60+ lumin lights for everyday use, they're too bright and use too much of the battery. Saying that, 60+ lumins has its uses. This light is the best of both worlds 65 lumins if you want 15 lumins if you want. And, it's an LED at 15 lumins the battery should last a long time.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I have a review of the SureFire L2 right here if you're interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great review. I've been carrying an L4, but the dual modes of the L2 seem quite useful. I may have to check that one out as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a ship notification that my L2 has shipped. Can't wait!!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
RH said:
So no Pila's in the L2?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, doesn't look good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
The barrel is too small in ID (inside diameter) for a Pila 168S cell to fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that the L2 had the same head that's used on the L4 or a KL4. I just got my KL4 head and it has no hole in its beam.

It's the whitest beam compared to other lights I have too. I list them in order:

McLux PR BB750 5w V3U>Arc4+Rev1>Arc4+Rev2>KL4 head.

The McLux PR does have a hole in its beam.

DanM

Newly Enlightened
My L2 also has a whine on low (only when held next to my ear) I find the beam to be whiter than my L4, and very white next to my L1. The beam is very much like the L4, wide flood with no doughnut, just pure white.
The second L2 I have is the same as the first one above.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just went and tried listening to my L2, and sure enough, a faint whine is audible at the tailcap when the flashlight is set to "low". This sorta proves that the low mode is regulated, not just resistored like the L1 is.
Well, there's some kind of circuitry active in there anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
This is interesting! I am guessing that instead of a resistor, there is an inductor in the tailswitch. I knew that the L2 was going to be regulated in both low and high levels and perhaps the electronic whizes can explain how what I presume is a voltage drop initiated by an inductor is advantageous over a resistor? As I recall, the A2 was initially slated for an inductor instead of a resistor. Now my curiousity is about how the switch on the L2 wil behave on say a L1 or A2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I tried my L2 tailcap on my L1, and although it's slightly loose fitting, it does work properly.
Now let's try it on my A2 and see what happens...BRB...OK, works on that too, but once again, it's slightly loose fitting.

Both flashlights appear to work the same as they did before.
But this is a subjective opinion; I did not meter either one for "before" and "after" analyses.

astrogrub

Newly Enlightened
Even though the low-beam "whine" sounds like its coming from the tailcap, it may actually be coming from the electronics package near the front of the body?

If you remove the head and put your ear up to the front of the body and push the tail cap to low you'll hear that the "whine" is a lot more pronounced there than at the tail cap.
Either that or the body acts as some kind of wave guide.

It sounds like one of those cheap electronic mosquito repelers--might be a by product of sorts: Illuminate the night while repeling mosquitoes.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I once had a whining / screetching sound with my PM6 McModule and after some discussion it turned out to be an arcing switch that caused the (even potentially dangerous) problem. After the use of a Z48 clicky it disappeared immediately.
I hope it is not the case here.
bernhard