The Entropy of Human Stupidity

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm...... visual works for me.
Guy gets shot with a bunch of fireworks.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Stickles01

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised that he wasn't burnt worse. That one that went into his helmet could've been much worse. The thing that I laughed about was the guy who brought the water to him dumped it all on the ground like the ground needed it, what a freakin moron.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
did you folks see the national spelling bee where the kid fainted?

nobody got up to help him--he must have laid there for 5 or 10 seconds! then he stood back up and finished spelling the word.

not crazy like the above incident, but quite bizarre.

Bob

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
fascinating. And you wonder why in most states you have to drive over the border into some other state to buy illegal fireworks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's only going to get harder for those of us that have been setting things off since we were 10 years old and never so much as singed a finger to get them when other people insist on recording their blatant stupidity.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
people like that are why the good fireworks are illegal here. I know one person that will reload a mortar tube while a fountain was light next to him, He was trying to sheild his face from the sparks while loading a round that could have taken his hand off. some people just seem to lack total commonsense.
lol funny video though

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Draco, I know exactly what you're talking about.

we ALWAYS shot off a large assortment of fireworks to celebrate the 4th when I was a kid. even a small kid. My dad taught me the most important thing, which was to be afraid of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif When they say light fuse and get away they really mean light fuse and run like heck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Which we always did and even when they were duds or had bad fuses or something we were never hurt because they were always at arms length and we weren't looking down the barrel to see what was happening.

But as I grew up I had the opportunity to shoot some with other people, people I considered relatively smart at the time. And they were lighting things right over the table with all the other stuff spread out, they lit things before trying to find a place to set them down or without knowing what the heck they were lighting...

But I have to say, the lighting a fountain a foot above the whole stash on the table on the patio rather than walking out into the lawn with it first was what struck me as most stupid of all.

I will continue to drive to state borders to purchase these things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif just won't be stupid and so I won't get hurt!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
And that is also the reason why fireworks are banned here in Singapore. Such dumbass stupidity!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Here in Seattle, even sparklers are illegal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Get busted with those, and it's a year in the pokey and/or a $5,000 fine or some such horse puckey.
I just watched the video...what dumbasses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've always had a healthy respect for this stuff. Like James, I'd find a good/stable place to set the stuff on, gauge it's trajectory (if it was a spinning or aerial device) and then light the fuse and hightail it outta there. I'd also keep a garden hose handy just in case, and if it was dry outside, I'd wet the grass and the garage roof beforehand.

That kid who was the "target" of that video might wind up carrying a facial scar for life; all for a few minutes of cheap and dangerous thrills. I can see his kids asking him someday, "Daddy, where did the scar on your face come from? The war? An industrial accident? A car crash?" And he'd have to answer "No, I got it for, uh, being a dumbass one night."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Many years ago I watched a kid place a firecracker into the open-end pipe of a chain-link fence. Then he lit it and stood back a few feet, waiting for the bang.

No bang, only a faint wisp of smoke from the burnt-out fuse.

So I watched in horror as he walked up to the pipe and placed his eye up against the end of it to see if the device was still burning.

It didn't go off and he wasn't injured. But watching that moment of extreme dumbness scared the **** out of me!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stupidest thing I ever did with fireworks was tie the fuses of two black cats together. I failed to realize it would burn MUCH faster if they were tied.

I was crouched on the ground lighting it, and didn't even manage to get up. The two firecrackers blew up in my face and my ears rang for months. It took me a two days to regain full hearing, but the ring took months to go away. Every now and then I feel something strange in my ears and they start ringing, but it's usually just for a few minutes and subsides.

Ever since then I've had tremendous respect for fireworks, I was careful before, but no more assinine ideas ever occur to me (like tying fuses together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif).

It would never have occured to me in my wildest dreams to shoot someone with a 25 shot saturn missle battery...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think what probably happened is that the two fuses tied togetrher wound up forming a sort of quickmatch, a fast-burning fuse that uses convection to move the heat along more quickly.

You're really lucky that you got away with relatively minimal damage! Like I've said in another thread, I knew a classmate who lost an eye. (Not the kid from the chain-link-fence incident above - this was a different one). Glad to hear that it made an impact on you (no pun intended) in terms of safety.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
That was not a saturn missle battery. I have had them and they fire just a little thing like a bottle rocket with out the stick.
I sadly need to admit that I have made fireworks myself and made off the shelf stuff mutch more powerfull by combining them or by other means. I have never had a fear for sutch things as I belive thats dangerus but rather have a respect for sutch things. I like to learn how it works, how it acts and even still how unpredicable it can be. I guess thats the draw I have for fireworks. basicly firecrackers are only powdered aluminum and an oxidizer witch shall remain nameless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif