VIP BulkHead and 17mm Reflector

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I have been receiving questions about the upcoming BH (BulkHead) as compared to the IMS 17mm reflector. This post will illustrate some contrasts between them and why one serves a different purpose from the other, thereby helping the true Flashoholic come to the appropriate decision reflecting the time-honored CPF mantra of, "buy'em both."

Here we see two black VIPs, one with the still-bare-aluminum BulkHead prototype (final format will be black HA3 anodized to match):

BH17%20Line.jpg

BH17%20Depth.jpg

It is obvious which reflector is larger as well as deeper. Note the texturing of the BH's reflector in just the deeper recess of the cavity which helps maintain a brighter spill corona.

Here's a beamshot of both against the baseboard about three feet away (BH'd VIP on the right in all beamshots):

BH17%20LLS.jpg

At 20 feet up on the sloped ceiling:

BH17%2020%20feet.jpg

And from about 30 feet away onto the same ceiling:

BH17%2030%20feet.jpg

The IMS 17mm reflector will provide a clear and even "softspot" with usably wide corona while retaining the original head (it is a drop-in replacement for the Fraen LP optic). But for significantly greater reach with similarly reflectorized corona and more intense hotspot, all in a not-much-larger head, the BulkHead is a must.

But then of course when canyon-crossing throw rivaling that of the much larger Mag mods is required, there is still no substitute for the "Big" BulkHead (BBH).

All of'em coming to a theater near you. Hey, "buy all three." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mbs

Newly Enlightened
I hope that this question is not out of place.

Now that I have my VIP, I've ordered a BBH and hopefully I'm on the list for a BH, I'm wondering if there is a case that would fit the whole VIP collection.

I would assume that something like a pelican case with a foam insert would work. The biggest piece would be the BBH.

But since I don't have all the pieces, My question to Charlie is - Can you put all the pieces together with some spare batteries and give us an idea about the best storage solution that would protect the VIP collection while not in use?

Thanks!

Myron

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
The "VIP Collection", hmmm...has a nice ring to it. But I really have no idea what might fit any or all of the accessories. And that is possibly because there may be even More accessories (Not my doing, this whole thing is growing beyond all of our respective control/s!).

As for me I would like just the light itself, and the two Bulk head styles. Plus maybe some space in the case for spare 123s.

The twisty will shorten the length dramatically, down to something like 3-1/3rd inches. But then the AA tube would lengthen it dramatically. Depends on within what application/s you may need the VIP to perform, so I really don't know, personal taste.

God I hope I was helpful... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

LLLean

Enlightened
I think a case to contain a complete set of VIP collection will indeed be a big case. Don't forget the shealth, AA-tube, reflectors, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And I think there'll be more accessories to come.

Charlie, was looking at both the base head and the BH in your pix. I noticed how thick the walls of the heads are. These heads must be really tough! Was wondering if the walls for BH could be made thinner and hence allowing for an even wider reflector. Just a thought.

Thanks, as always.

- LLL

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my VIP and it is beautiful.

However, couldn't resist immediately replacing the optic with the SO17XA reflector. Only had to cut a simple notch in the base and screw it all back together.

Much improved beam.

Since I haven't had time to read all the posts here, I apologize if others have already pointed out how simple and nice this little change is.

Great light, can't wait for the bigger and brighter version. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oops, sorry meant to post to The VIP Thread.

naromtap

Enlightened
I too am pondering as to what to house my VIP collection in - had a look at a site selling Pelican cases but was unsure which to pick as I am also unsure as to how much space will be required to house the lot, so have decided to wait until my light plus accesories arrive, unless of course someone else posts a tried & tested case spec!

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
SWEET. Great pics Charlie. I agree with you above comment..... "buy all three" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I do intend to do jus that. I have already received the IMS reflectors, paid for the BBH and anxious awaiting for you to open up the gates for the BH. I will be ordering 3 of those babies.

Keep em coming. I too would be interested in finding a VIP Collection case.
Can't wait for the next Mr. Bulk creation. Like I have said before Charlie, you got a sale from me EVERYTIME!!. Love your work.

Curtis