• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB : Mclux Head

TonyBPD

Enlightened
For starters I just purchased this light and although I really like the beam, I want something brighter.

I tested this beam against my L4 and it was a bit dimmer. So in closing is it possible to have a head built that will be brighter than a KL4? If so PM me. Thanks in advance.

TonyBPD

Enlightened
I have received several PM's in reference to many different heads. I'm very new in the "custom head" category.

I have received PM's in reference to the following :

1. Mclux PR-T head with a 3 watt SYOL with a DB 916

2. DB917 TWAL Lux III

3. McLux PR Bare Aluminum with a LuxIII TWAK and DB1000

4. 917 DownBoy with TV0K Luxeon III

5. Luxeon III and a Luxeon V

I really do appreciate all the PM's but I truly have no clue what all that means. I'm looking for something that is equally as bright as a KL4 or something with decent throw and a tight hotspot.

If someone who has knowledge of these could step in and give me a quick crash course, it would be appreciated.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
#2, #3 and #4 are the brightest, longest throwing of the group. #1 will be almost as bright, need more info on #5 to say much.

To further break this down:
- SYOL, TWAL, TWAK, TVOK are "3 watt" Luxeons of various tint, output and voltages. All will be very bright but a TWAK is considered the best (or close to it).
- DB1000, DB917, etc refer to the circuit driving the Luxeon where the number is actual current (in ma) going to the LED.
- PR-T and McLux PR Bare Aluminum are a special McLux heads with a nice big reflectors in them - these combined with a TWAK and DB1000 are just about the best you can do.

Also check out www.theledguy.com to see where some of this stuff comes from - you may find more information there.

Jon

TonyBPD

Enlightened
FWIW - The head on my Mclux right now has a beam that resembles the "rings of Saturn" not too bad overall but I would like brighter.