help me save my new freind he is a bird

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok i was walking to store i saw a bird he cant fly but he looks like a mature baby bird i picked him up and put him in cage do baby birds eats worms?

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I am no expert but I would try giving him insects and/or bird seed. heck find a pet store, they may have lots of stuff for them. or when in doubt call a vet, advice should be alest free.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
so far all he does is frsak out when i go near his new cage. i put him in water bowl cause he seems hot he is a blue bird.

was_jlh

Enlightened
Raggie, call vet and/or find a local wildlife rehab person. He will not want seed. You may be able to cut up worms and give to him. He will want to eat about every 20 minutes. Find a local wildlife rehab person and get advice from them. This is the time of year when snakes are invading bluebird houses, the parents often leave after snake encounters and abandon the young. Oh, did I mention, call a local wildlife rehabber. Good luck, hope for the best.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I would cover atlest half the cage with a blanket if it's not too hot out, that way the bird will have a place to hide and it may calm him down.

BobVA

Enlightened
Well, it depends what kind of bird he is. If you can zip over to your library and pick up a copy of "Care of the Wild Feathered and Furred" that will answer most of your questions.

As a last resort, you can feed most babies a mix of baby cereal and a little hamburger, but they won't eat themselves, you have to know how to feed them. Then you've got to wean them and teach them to find food on their own. You can't just feed 'em and toss 'em out.

If you haven't had the bird for long, take it back where you found it, put it somewhere safe and see if the mother is still hanging around. She'll buzz you or the bird if she is. If so, you lucked out and can split. (The "they'll smell humans and won't take care of them" is a myth.)

My strongest recommendation is to take him to a wildlife rehabilator, today. Call any vet or vet emergecny hospital and they should be able to hook you up. Don't take the bird to an animal shelter unless that's your only choice, many will just destroy baby birds, so call first and ask.

Thanks for picking the bird up, it's obvious you're a kind soul, but in the future that should be your last resort.
If the bird was in danger (e.g. in the middle of a road) you just need to move him to a tree or something. The mother was probably nearby, in the process of teaching the baby the tricks of the trade, when you found him.

Unless you know the mother is dead or baby is injured, it's best to leave the little guys where they are.

Get busy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
should i put him back? i was afraid red ants would get him but he wasnt in road

raggie33

*the raggedier*
pic of him
bird.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm mighty suprised a momma (and maybe a daddy) bird wasn't dive bombing you!

Jays and Blues around here peck first and ask later!!!

I'd guess mom was off gathering or dead already...

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi Raggie, Bluejays are not always nice. Some place the egg into another birds nest so they don't have to raise it. If you look up Bluejays you will find out lots about them.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
bummer he died already . this stinks thanks for all ya help i stink at birds

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
!!!!!RAGGIE!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

That's definitely a bluejay, and he may have died of West Nile Virus. Avoid handling him directly and call your county health department ASAP. Bluejays are one of the few species that they're interested in looking at if they're dead, because they're susceptible to the virus. SO ARE HUMANS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Penguin

Enlightened
I found a baby sparrow a couple months ago and Animal Control took him away. A SPARROW! They came to pick him up even though it's the most common of birds around here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I tried to rescue a woodpecker a month ago. It was the closest I've ever been to one. He was stumbling around on the ground and having difficulty flying, so I carefully scooped him up (with gloves on) and took him home in a cardboard box. I transferred him to an animal carrier and left some food and water in there for him. He was calm enough or sick enough that he didn't even mind my stroking him.

But he didn't survive the night. I think he must haved been very ill or very old, poor thing.