Spotlights or Floodlights: Inova X5 and X1?

SurferGuy710

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the Inova X5 and the X1...it says the X1 is a spotlight and the X5 is a floodlight...what is the difference?

**Edited by DanO for title clarification.**

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
Re: Spotlight or Floodlight???

The X1 projects a uniform circle of light with absolutely no sidespill, while the X5 projects a wide beam to illuminate a bigger area. Hope that helps!

i7r7

Newly Enlightened

Inova X1: One very good quality, overdriven 5mm LED with a lens. The beam is perfectly round, quite well focused and has pretty much zero sidespill.

Inova X5: 5 good quality 5mm LEDs, slightly overdriven with no lens. The beam is wide (no lens but has mini stainless steel reflectors that don't do much).

Hope that makes sense
Jeff

idleprocess

Flashaholic

You will hear quite a few complaints about the X1 due to the total lack of sidespill. I've found that the functional range of the X1 in semi- to near-total darkness is about the same as the X5 - which has all that nice sidespill for close up work.

The beam quality on the X1 is phenomenal, with the only consistent "artifact" being a distinct shadow of the lead wires at about 6." It does seem a waste to put all that effort into a single 5mm light source. If you've seen the PALLight, the output is simiar.

An unmentioned benefit of the X1 is its use of a single alkaline AA battery instead of costly lithium 123s. If you go with the X5, you can buy 123s for $1 each from the Battery Station for $1 each. I think Botach Tactical is still running a special on Sanyo 123s - 20 for $20.

If you appreciate somewhat dim lights that aren't overpowering and have use for a limited-range spotlight, the X1 might be for you.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

The beam of the X1 don't really impress me. I already owned an X5T and I like it very much as a general use light especially for camping and hiking and the flood beam really lights up the peripheral area very well. It isn't the brightess light you can find but it is still very bright in total darkness. What I like is the 2 CR123 lithium batteries seems to last for ages.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

To add on, Inova X5T is indeed a very strong light. My 2 yrs old nephew likes to play with my lights and I always pass him X5T. He would always throw the light into mid air and let it land on the ground. At first I panicked but after a few tries I realized my X5T is still surviving and I just let him throw it. Only some minor scratches here and there.

Latest posts