Ear plug advice wanted?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
One member posted in the favorite things you own thread that his were earplugs. I live an apartment and have noisy neighbors above me and sometimes outside as well. What the best earplugs in terms of soundproof and day in and day out usage comfort? Currently I have been using the foam Flent's "Quiet please". I get a couple/three nights of use per pair. They're OK, reasonably comfortable but sometimes don't fit in so well and can fall out if you roll over on top of them. Are there better alternatives, either disposable or not?

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use custom fit Westone Labs plugs. They make a mold of your ears and then you can insert different sound reducing filters to suit the situation. I have worn them for 8 - 10 hours straight with no discomfort. The style I have is the ES49 with the ER25 filters. . The filters have a very flat frequency response so it's just as if everything is turned down to safe levels. Making a mold of your ears is kind of expensive ( $150), but the filters are only $32 a piece.

Oh and I got a bag of the Howard Leight MultiMax plugs which are very comfy but single use plugs.

Moat

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Tree said:
I use custom fit Westone Labs plugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

+ 1 ... I think they're a great investment.

They work wonderfully (-15db filter set) for me at work - on stage, playing electric guitar. Things do sound pretty natural, just quieter.

I often find, driving home after the gig, that my truck seems unusually quiet - until I realize I'm still wearing the Westones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Not sure about sleeping with them, though - never tried, and they do stick out a bit... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

For greater attenuation, I find the neon yellow, squishy foam cheapies (rated @ -33db) from Home Depot excellent, and comfortable for quite a few hours - AOSafety disposable, 4 pair @ $2.19.

Worth a shot if you find yourself in Home Depot, checking out shop vacs and such... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

scottie

Newly Enlightened
I have used Mack's ear plugs on a daily basis for at least the past 15 years.
They are made from silicone and are not inserted into the ear canal. One just presses them into place to form an airtight seal. They do not fall out.
They are available at many discount drug stores.
I tried foam plugs for a while but found that putting them in and taking them out irritated my ears.
I have been delighted with Mack's and never leave home without them.
Although I've never taken any measurements, they certainly have provided me with more sound protection than any foam pair I ever tried.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several pairs of norton/north health care earplugs. I had to supply my shop(jet engine repair facility)with effective hearing protection. They work excellently while target shooting with rather large caliber handguns and block the audible sound produced by a running jet engine, I don't know if I could wear them on a regular basis they are a very snug fit in the ear canal and feel soooo good when they are removed.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am the person that made the post you referenced.

I use disposable foam plugs available at Walmart and many drugstores, one brand is "Hearos," but there are other brands that are good too. Look for the NRR rating of at least 29 or 30. Some are as high as 33. The higher the better (quieter).

Look for the ones that are shaped like a bullet - slightly tapered cylinder flat on one end, rounded on the other end. These are the most comfortable and work well for sleeping. I find these more comfortable than the ones that are a perfect cylinder shape. You don't want any that are attached to a string or anything else. Just loose plugs. The first time you wear ear plugs, it may seem uncomfortable to have something in your ear and you may not think you can sleep with them, but once you get used to them, they are fine. You should read the instructions on how to insert them. You don't just poke them in your ear.

I wear them at least 10 times before they start to get too dirty. I then toss them or sometimes clean them under hot tap water. Eventually they will not compress well, so they will definitely get thrown out at that point.

I have never tried the silicone or custom-fit ones because these work so well for me.

In addition to sleeping through noise, I use them to protect my hearing when mowing the lawn or using other power equipment or if I ever go to a shooting range, etc. They can also be used in any other environment you wish were quieter. I like to get the colors that match my skin color so if I wear them in a public place, they are less noticeable.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
geo pm ya address ill send ya some for free there new in pack and work very well

ksbman

Flashaholic*
The Ear Plug Super Store is an excellent place to learn about and buy ear protection. The have a huge variety and have good recommendations for uses.

I wear both earplugs and ear muffs at work and have done so for the last 28 years (I work on jet A/C).

Currently the earplugs I use are Howard Leight Max. They have a NRR of 33, which is the highest you can get. The higher the number, the better the protection. I don't know why anyone would want to use a plug that protects less than NRR 33.

I used to use them all the time for sleeping (I sleep during the day) but I recently bought an air purifier machine which does double duty as a white noise machine. I now only use the plugs for sleeping when the lawn is being cut.

For sleeping use, make sure you get the style without the cord.

I have found that the material that the Max is made of is resilient, allowing reuse. My work plugs get changed every day but my sleeping plugs would last a week or so. The foam style plugs would hold the shape of my ear canal and not be effective for reuse.

I've noticed a lot of people don't know how to install earplugs correctly. They have to go in deep to be effective. I see people who should know better with the plug half hanging out of their ear.

Before fitting any ear plugs, make sure your hands are clean! Hold the earplug between your thumb and forefinger. Roll and compress the entire earplug to a small, crease-free cylinder. While still rolling, use your other hand to reach over your head and pull up and back on your outer ear. This is important! This straightens the ear canal, making way for a snug fit. Sometimes it helps to hold your mouth and throat open whilst inserting the earplugs.

Insert the ear plug and hold for a few seconds. This allows the ear plug to expand and fill the ear canal. When properly inserted, the ambient sound level should drop way down as the earplugs expand. You'll feel like the "world's closing in on you" as some have mentioned. If you can cup your hands over your ears and the noise seems to decrease, your ear plugs are probably not fitted properly. Remove and refit following instructions.

After a while you'll be able to do it correctly one-handed.

To check if the plug is in correctly I rub my fingers together right next to my ear. If I can hear the noise, they are not in properly.

I also used them for mowing the lawn, riding motorcycles, anything that will damage my hearing.

I recently upgraded to the muffs the Ear Plug Store recommended. I notice the difference over the David Clarks I used to wear.