How do I shrink heat shrink tubing?

14C

Enlightened
You can shrink the tubing carefully with a soldering iron tip or VERY carefully with a lighter. Might take a bit of practice to get it right. I have used both in a pinch.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you carefully hold it just above the top of a lighter flame, it should be hot enough to shrink, without being so hot that it melts or burns.

Darell

Flashaholic
When I use a lighter (or even match!) I use the SIDE of the flame so I don't get the thing all black, or too hot. Heat guns are pretty cheap, and with a shrink-tube reflector (a round end that reflects the heat all the way around the tubing) there's just nothing better.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Darell said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif and if you plan to do it often invest in a heat gun it saves a lot of time and burnt tubing.

Later
Sway

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say 'heat it of course' but that'd just be wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've always used a lighter... results have varied a lot... like some have suggested... avoid the flame directly, or move it fast through the flame... I like the matt black GB tubing better than the shiny stuff ®S sells.

-awr

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Real men use matches of course. Timing is part of it, not this sissy BS with lighters.....

I too have used the shank rather than tip of the soldering iron with success over the years and can recommend it as a field expedient.

Use of a toaster oven, however, needs to be carefully taken. Temperatures involved might easily kill any number of electronics bits, including the LED. Some die just under the boiling point of water, the rest just over it. You need to be able to selectively heat, the heat gun can kill electronics (experience here....).

Doug Owen

mrsinbad

Enlightened
Depending on your application, I have used cigarette lighters/ matches/ and the stove on really low flame and constantly rolling/moving the heatshrink around.

Glenn

Enlightened
I have not tried it but,.......how about holding it just above
the coil of an electric stove ?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Agree with many of the techniques suggested above. Just keep in mind there are at least two grades of HS tubing (one obviously thicker and requiring more heat; the other, thinner-walled one that can be crinkled up/folded rather easily may not hold up well to any open flame). With flames the key is constant movement over the entire surface for even contraction rate all around.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the idea of the shank of the soldering iron i will try that the next time i shrink-heat some tubing. If that fails might have to go back to rubbing sticks.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
andrewwynn said:
I love the idea of the shank of the soldering iron i will try that the next time i shrink-heat some tubing. If that fails might have to go back to rubbing sticks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to worry, I've been using it for years when nobody's looking. Neat part is no solder gets stuck to it (which happens when you use the tip). I also screwed up a tip by melting some HS on it, ended up throwing it out before it's time as I recall.

Real men still use matches, of course.

Doug Owen

turbodog

Flashaholic
I opt for a lighter (or match). In the interest of free information... you CAN use a hair dryer, you just need to obstruct the air intake vents so the outgoing air is hotter than normal. Be sure to let it cool down between uses, or the thermal limited will kick in.

sidespill

Enlightened
Use one of ginseng's hot rod mods. He posted a pic where a beam melted a hole in a plastic jug. so remember to keep the heat even across the shrink tubing. and remember safety first so get welding mask and some sunblock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif