Value of 1985 VW Vanagon

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The non-lights B/S/T rules seem to disqualify a price inquiry so I'm asking here in the Cafe; I hope this is the correct proceedure.

I'm going to sell my non running '85 Vanagon. It needs an engine, exhaust, clutch, battery and paint job. The body is in good shape with very little rust and the interior is nice, with good seats. The steering was tight and the suspension and brakes good with new shocks.

I'm guessing that two grand might be a fair starting point. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
Wow. Cars hold their value up there! I just looked up a 1993 Eurowagon, 1993 being as far back as my book will go, and that books for about $2k, unless it needed all the things your's does.

Never hurts to try, but I think you should begin to mentally prepare yourself for the fact that in your 1985 van's present condition, it is nearly worthless...

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it were in running condition, it would be worth about $500. As is, it has essentially no market value. That's not to say that it has no value to anyone, but there is no real market for a non-running 20-year old vehicle. Get rid of it any way you can.

avusblue

Enlightened
These are kinda funky cars with a certain enthusiast following, but it sounds like this one is a basket case meant for someone looking for a big project. More likely, it is worth more "parted out", than whole. If I were you, I'd take a few pictures, write up a description, and put it on eBay. There'll be somebody out there willing to pay you a few hundred bucks for the privilige of hauling it away. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out,

Dave

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, if you were to get no hits on ebay(assuming thats what you are to do), you could take it outback somewhere, throw a large tarp down on the ground. Have some music, and charge people 5 bucks for 2 minutes with a sledgehammer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif. If I ever had the cash, and got a new car without needing to sell my current car, I would so do that!
Cameron

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
it may have a cult following but it has no engine. A junk yard may give you 50 bucks. I would look into ebay, see what the running ones bring. IMHO 2 grand is way too mutch for somthing that needs soo mutch work, an engine alone may cost you more then 2 grand, to replace.
Why do you belive it's an engine it needs? some engine problems can be fix with replaceing the motor? How mutch mileage does it have?