NASA & Outer Space Lights

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't find anything when searching for lights used in our space program but thought there had been a thread on this subject.

One launch support contractor was mentioned for issuing Arc LS lights to its employees. What else is used up there?

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Photon Micro Light folks have made the claim that it has been used in space by NASA, which I believe.

I have also seen pictures of a special NASA flashlight for space missions that is not a commercial unit, but proprietary to NASA. It has a backup bulb and a backup battery built-in and ready to go at the flip of a switch. It is not a marvel of compactness, however.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matches??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Testing if combustion is more pronounce in outer space??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Mark2

Enlightened
0G.jpg

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Two light bulbs is pretty un-efficient... I'm sure that they now uses LED.

Two set of batteries is bad. If 2xAA runs the light bulb for 2 hours, 4xAA will run a similar bulb for 6 hours (not 4 hours).

Better yet, bring two identical lights. If one dies, you have the other one. And someone else can use the 2nd light while you use your light.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
CalgaryGuy, you are right, but NASA is used to writing specifications that require built-in redundancy in all of their flight systems. They used the same mentality in making the requirements for a flashlight. It is kind of funny, really. And I don't even want to think about how much the flashlight cost.