Clickies Better For Sand & Dirt

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My lights end up full of sand and sometimes fine dirt or metal dust. Twist switches acquire this grit in their threads which is felt when activating them. Clickies don't seem to have this problem.

What is your experience?

maverick

Enlightened
Your observations would seem very logical since the clickie can be completely screwed down. I'm also starting to like the clickie switches more and more....

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I love the clickie switch on my G2. Being able to operate the flashlight with only one hand is very convenient.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the clickie switches and I love the LOTC too. I would be hard pressed to choose between one but since I deliberately paid and bought the clickies, it makes more sense to use them and keep the LOTCs as backup in case the clickie should malfunction.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twisty design will allow increased contamination of the o-rings and threads by grit of any composition that exists in the environment it's used in. The same would also be true of chemical agents, both liquid and gaseous. A twisty switch sealed with an o-ring is MUCH MORE vulnerable to degradation from any contaminant than a stationary o-ring seal made with the same materials. There are industrial environments that would seem to pose real maintenance problems for twisties.

Living in hurricane country, I keep a half-dozen Tektite dive lights ready all the time, but other than that I'm kind of tired of big twisties that take two hands to operate.

I still buy little one hand twisties, though.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would only seem to be true is you used the light more often in a constant on mode as opposed to just using it for short periods of time. But in that case a clickie does have the advantage in wet or dusty areas.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad to have read this thread, you've finally given me a reason to try a SF clickie.

GregR

F

Fishark

Though that's unimagined I still wiiiiiish SF can create a Clickie for A2.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you guys sure clickies have less wear and tear??? I mean does the mechanism inside the clickie not break despite clicking it on and off so many times?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pjandyho said:
Are you guys sure clickies have less wear and tear??? I mean does the mechanism inside the clickie not break despite clicking it on and off so many times?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO the wildcard is the design of the clickie switch. Twisties are valued for their simplicity, watertightness and dependability; that's why I have mine. Given the confines of the subject it would seem to me that a clickie would have to be pretty reliable to outperform a properly maintained twistie even in a sandy environment. Maintainence would seem to be more complex for the twistie under those conditions, however.

I would also think that a twistie with bigger o-rings would hold up in the sand much longer than one with real skimpy seals like some twisties have.

simbad

Enlightened
I have both options for my Ls and I allways say that the clickies are much better, the o ring is there just to stop the water or dust, in the twisty tailcap the o ring allways works getting thinner every turn you make to switch the light on, finally gets loose and the light is not anymore waterproof.
I my case I get the light wet very frecuently so the waterproofness is very important for me.
I don't see everyone checking the o rings from all the flashlights very often as a maintenance as the owners manual say.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kroll on my StreamLight Jr. must have many thousands of cycles on it. None of my six Krolls have worn out yet, although the rubber on the most used SL-Jr. is getting more flexible.

The problem I ran into with twisties is that in the off position they allow dirt to get on the body and work past the o-ring onto the threads. The lube also tends to attract sand and grit. I frequently have sand in my pockets and it pollutes any opening.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the simplest way to solve this issue of twistie's rubber wearing off is to grease it occasionally. Though a little troublesome it is the best option. Anyway, I still like both twistie and clickie.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I just received my Z48 clickie for my M3. I put it on and tried it and took it right back off. I like the LOTC alot better. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
5.0Trunk said:
I just received my Z48 clickie for my M3. I put it on and tried it and took it right back off. I like the LOTC alot better. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
If you had tried the Z58 clickie that was manufactured for the L5 and L6 lumamax you would be singing a different tune. The Z48 is in the first place an old design and is IMHO destined for the grave. The shroud covering the clickie switch on the Z48 made it not so easy to click. Not the Z58 which looks almost similar to the LOTC except that it is a clickie instead of an LOTC.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
capnal said:
Hey, 5.0Trunk,
do you want to sell that "slightly used" Z48 tailcap? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have it listed in the B/S/T forum. I may look into the Z58 clickie.

[ QUOTE ]
[If you had tried the Z58 clickie that was manufactured for the L5 and L6 lumamax you would be singing a different tune.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to SFs website and I didn't see any refrence to the Z58.

Thanks

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
5.0Trunk, you can check around from dealers like Meridian Tactical or Tactical Warehouse. Good luck.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that I'm satisfied with my twistie because I don't use the constant on function very much. I usually just use it for a minute or two at most. I guess that it depends on what you use more.