Donate Blood???

MikeF

Enlightened
I give also, my next donation for next Tuesday will be my 92 unit. I usually make Apherisis donations so they can use both my plasma and platelets.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, about three times yearly. I understand that it may have health benefits for those who build up too much iron. What is that called, hemochromatosis? Are there benefits for normal guys, like me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif, who don't have blood problems?

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Floating Spots,

Not much! Whaddaya mean not much! Hey, an old adage...a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step! It sounds like you've done well. There is always a need for blood donations and we'd all be better off with more donors.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif
I was speaking with the local blood bank on their last visit to my workplace...donations have fallen wayyy off since the popularity of body piercings, studs, nose rings etc., as well as tattoos etc. This is really hurting in keeping the supply going.

[Note: The above is not a rant, just an observation being made.]

Just received a second letter indicating that I am now seriously being considered for a marrow donation. I signed up several years ago and it looks like I may be able to help somebody. Letter said to expect further contact regarding a secondary set of blood matching tests etc. We'll see.

Congrats to all that have donated and please consider donating if you are able and meet the eligibility requirements.

Best,
Lighthouse

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I once tried to give whatever it's called where something goes back into my arm. I got a lousy needle stick, and grew a great big bump on my arm which also put pressure on the needle.

I did NOT like that. I can give whole blood just dandy.

There is a side benefit to giving... My cholesteral went from 265 or so when I started down to a low of 176. As of 8 weeks ago donation, I was at 201.

I can find out todays I would imagine on monday.

I started giving a day or two after 9-11-01...

I NEVER plan to stop until dead!

14C

Enlightened
I have "White Coat Syndrome" and usually I leave unable to give and pissed because I let it get the better of me....

It's like feedback...the more I worry about it the worse it gets and the worse it gets the more I worry and then I get disqualified.

There was one elderly nurse who used to do the workup and she could get me to focus EVERY TIME and then she would take my pressure and it would be normal and I could donate. She was WONDERFUL. She is no longer there.

It sucks.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I would if I could. My S.O. gives platelets on a regular basis. Congratulaitons and major Attaboys for those who give!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Samoan

Enlightened
I too would if I could.

The tests they use on blood come up positive for Hepatitis for me. The only issue is that I don't have Hepatitis. My doctor said that I have some high enzyme levels that cause the tests to false positive.

I volunteer during blood drives instead.

-Fernando

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Samoan said:
I too would if I could.

The tests they use on blood come up positive for Hepatitis for me. The only issue is that I don't have Hepatitis. My doctor said that I have some high enzyme levels that cause the tests to false positive.

I volunteer during blood drives instead.

-Fernando

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fortunate that I don't test positive for that or any of the important disease indicators; I just have a moderate case of hypotension, so I will black out if I do it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif plop.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I also donate blood. I have AB negative so they are always happy to get mine. I am also an organ donor. I see no reason for anybody not to donate thier organs when they are dead if it will benifit someone else.

Samoan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
I'm fortunate that I don't test positive for that or any of the important disease indicators; I just have a moderate case of hypotension, so I will black out if I do it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif plop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe...

This reminded me of an ex-girlfriend from college. Her problem was that she was a tiny little thing. I think you had to weigh a minimum of 100 lbs and she came in under that. She wanted to give so she would lie about her weight. Of course on the way home she might was well have been drunk.

-Fern

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lighthouse said:
I was speaking with the local blood bank on their last visit to my workplace...donations have fallen wayyy off since the popularity of body piercings, studs, nose rings etc., as well as tattoos etc. This is really hurting in keeping the supply going.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you not give if you have a tattoo?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Samoan said:
Hehe...

This reminded me of an ex-girlfriend from college. Her problem was that she was a tiny little thing. I think you had to weigh a minimum of 100 lbs and she came in under that. She wanted to give so she would lie about her weight. Of course on the way home she might was well have been drunk.

-Fern

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's exactly what I want to avoid! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

haley1

Enlightened
Regularly for the last 20 years, except when denied due to deployments to certain parts of the world. It still amazes me how most people take blood donating for granted except when they need it! Consider it your part for the war effort, lots of soldiers need it on a regular basis. And more all the time it seems.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a semi regular donor, but had to take a couple breaks. After I got my last tat, and now I probably won't be eligible for a year after I get back to the US. I've only had one bad stick, and it hurt. I could see the needle lifting up the vein, and it hurt for like three days afterwards. The place I worked at had blood drives every 3 or 4 months and I'd just donate then since it was convenient. Otherwise I went to the local blood bank.